Carabiner Failure...?

JeffreyR

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd say it's most probably an open gate failure. I would also comment that's probably not the best choice for a slackline rigging biner. I've always used locking ovals for my rigs and locking steel ovals in high tension ones because I'm wary of potential weaknesses associated with the asymmetries of pear shaped biners for these applications.

I'm wary of potential weaknesses associated with the asymmetries of pear shaped biners for these applications.

Interesting thought. I believe that most biners are rated stronger than any aluminum ovals. Are you saying that asymmetric biners that are loaded in anything other than the usual way is weaker than ovals which are loaded perfectly quite easily?

broken%252520carabener.jpg

One of my friends was slack-lining and had a carabiner snap. It was a fairly short line (no more than 30') and shouldn't have been under a huge load. Any thoughts...?

this looks like one of those carabiners that dork's hang their keys from....

does it happen to have "not for climbing printed on the side" ? ;)

Edited by pink

Ovals are weaker because of their inherently large moment arm which pretty quickly weights the spine n gate equally and adds a lot of bending stress on top of the tensile stress already there. Most biners now put the line of tension as close as possible to the spine, which sometimes has a slight curvature for added strength ( like prestressed beams). And use the gate only for backup when there's enough deflection to engage it.

The biner you used (locking version) is stronger than most - 24/8/9 kn, so it's not the biner.

Steel biners can handle 72/22 kn, BTW. Expensive, but for this application it seems well worth it.

Edited by tvashtarkatena

Ovals are weaker because of their inherently large moment arm which pretty quickly weights the spine n gate equally. Most biners now put the line of tension as close as possible to the spine, which sometimes has a slight curvature for added strength ( like prestressed beams). And use the gate only for backup when there's enough deflection to engage it.

I don't doubt what you say, but particularly in my high tensioned rigs I prefer the clean symmetry of ovals relative to how and where the ropes / webbing lay in them. With pear biners rope / webbing can load strangely in the wide end if you aren't careful and I suspect that played a role in this broken one (other than just being a flat out cheap and cheesy piece of gear). Petzl locking ovals are 24kn and whatever their Oxan steel locking ovals rate at they are more than burly.

Again, to each his own I suppose, but the for my own purposes I find particular comfort in the symmetry and clean rope / webbing lay in ovals and that opinion is born of thirty six years of rigging all manner of tightropes and slacklines without ever having a line failure.

Was that carabiner loaded in 3 directions? Ie did your friend run a long runner around a tree clip it together and then tie the line off to it?

I also ovals or old style D's for slacklines partly because they seem to have a wider loadable area for the one inch webbing (compared to the rope notch on many modern biners) which, wether it makes them stronger for this or not, makes it easier to keep the webbing flat and set up the tensioning system I use and partly because I've retired them from normal climbing use.

I also double them up, partly for redundancy and partly because it makes it easier to get the knots undone. My tensioning system requires double carabiners on the tensioning end.

Jeffrey, what brand is the biner?

Mad Rock Super-Tech-Keylock, a.k.a. Mad Rock Don't-Use-Me-For-A-Slackline

http://www.madrockclimbing.com/products/product.asp?_item=100093

Supposedly this brand is rated for 9 Kn with the gate open. It seems like it still should not have failed under these conditions. I am no engineer, but that is a good amount of force...

One of my friends was slack-lining and had a carabiner snap. It was a fairly short line (no more than 30') and shouldn't have been under a huge load. Any thoughts...?

first thought: never use such a flimsy piece of metal for slack-lining.

second thought: the gate opened somehow. if i recall at all correctly, that biner has a gate that seems suspect in its ability to "lock" correctly.

Is it possible that the gate might have opened?

I was not present when it broke, but I do not see how it could have been pushed open by any of the line. It seems from the photo that it was the opposite end from the tensioner, but Iwould have to clarify with my friend. I imagine it would be possible that it never closed correctly before having a load put on it.

Either it somehow wasn't closed completely, or the closure keyhole lock failed from being a cheap piece of trash, or the gate opened under some unknown circumstance.

I have seen a couple of strange, hard-to-account-for results with carabiners over the years. Once took a lead fall in CT on a steep overhang and the Chouinard 'D' biner on the piece below the one I fell on instantly shot out into space about twenty yards completely detached from both the rope AND the piece in the rock. I had double checked that placement and knew the biner was on good with the gate closed and oriented properly so go figure.

Shit does occasionally happen which defies expectations, reason and logic if you didn't actually watch it happen.

I R no enjuneer (I deal with electricity) but how about I throw out a theory for the failure.

Biners are made to hold that limit of force (holding leader fall, whatever greater than 15kn) for a small period of time then quickly return to a couple KN's. Maybe between the possible harmonics (this is a great excuse for non engineers, always sounds plausible) and prolonged force applied to even a closed locking biner, was too much for it.