80m for ice

keenwesh

gonna get a new rope. for climbing in hyalite a 80 would be sick, pretty much everything can be rapped in 40m. to people who have climbed in cody, does this hold true? I'm going this weekend so I guess I can find out for myself but I'd rather ask the interwebs. I'm kinda guessing that 60m half ropes are a better option but that costs $360. Also I'll be using it over the summer at index where having a long cord is killer. My fat ass hates actually falling on halfropes, making me lean towards the 80...

discuss

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All the Euros that I've run into lately are using 80's. I remember when we used to tease them back in the day at Smith for bringing 60's across the pond.

Hyalite is a pile of s*#@ compared to some of your other options.

Edited by Jens

Hyalite is a pile of s*#@ compared to some of your other options.

look closely at the words. pile of s*#@ compared to other options. doesn't mean that hyalite is s*#@ but that other options is much better. What is left out is if he is talking about the better options are in other parts of the hyalite range or in other parts of the state.

yeah I've been up the east fork, it's grouped in with hyalite and is a nice place to go on icefest weekend. Didn't see a single person up there all day. Flanders is similar I think, although I have yet to climb anything in there.

curious to hear how jens will back up his claim. hyalite is incredible, from the parking lot there are tons of stellar ice climbs, all within a hour or so of hiking. puts washington ice to shame.

In Cody it helps to have two ropes for some of the raps (saves time making v-threads) but you can always get a tag line for rappels and make the 2nd carry it. Since you live in Bozeman, might as well get something that works for 90% of the climbing you'll do.

posted a TR in case you don't know how to use the forum at all. might as well post a link while I'm at it http://cascadeclimbers.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1053294/TR_Cody_Broken_Hearts_Main_Vei#Post1053294

broke the rule someone laid down a while ago of posting non WA ice in the ice climbing forum but whatever, rules are made to be broken.

Jens, I'm still waiting for you to tell me where to go besides hyalite from bozeman... don't leave me hanging