Taking dancing on your grave to a new level...

KaskadskyjKozak

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Gotta love the internet. Now a couple of jarheads with a iPhone can wipe out a decade of work by the state department and the entire military establishment in a matter of a few minutes.

If only it was just four stupid jarheads....

These guys just acted out the attitude of a huge portion of our population. The problem goes much, much deeper than the idiocy for 4 individuals.

Gotta love the internet. Now a couple of jarheads with a iPhone can wipe out a decade of work by the state department and the entire military establishment in a matter of a few minutes.

These guys just acted out the attitude of a huge portion of our population. The problem goes much, much deeper than the idiocy for 4 individuals.

'course, that just leaves you w/ an indictment on the whole human race...

Wars accentuate the worst of the human condition. Some front line participants in every war, on every side, commit atrocities. It is part of how wars are fought, plain and simple.

As a human being, and former Marine, I am sickened by the sight of this video. I am also not really surprised.

My intent is not to justify or by any means excuse this act. Just pointing out nobody should be that surprised, this, and worse, happens quite often and is just one of the many very good reasons not to start wars.

d

I don't know if it's really representative of a huge portion of our population, but it is disturbing that it 1) happens and 2) gets disclosed in this manner. Seeing some of the ways our casualties have been treated and crying out in outrage, then turning around and doing it ourselves makes us out to be pretty hypocritical.

On the flip side, anyone have any idea what the engagement between the Marines and the deceased were? Maybe sometime pissing on the corpse of the guy who has been trying to kill you for the last 2 days is the best way to get closure.

I want to see Ivan's response first.

there's a reason the corps has always taken pride in their label of "devil dogs"

I am disappointed, Ivan! I was expecting something like this:

"... nothing new or excessive... the Chinese used to cut off the testicles of their slaughtered enemies and shove them down their throat, then cut a hole in their stomach and crap in it... the ancient Romans, OTOH,.... "

this is a little closer to form...

this is a little closer to form...

i think doug the marine's post above is about the same tune too, eh?

It's pretty much irrelevant whose feelings they might embody or even what four guys were thinking (or not) at the time. The point is that since Vietnam the State Department and military have steadily been losing control of the media and diplomatic message. This and several similar incidents represent a complete loss of control of the message and the consequences are such that, with regard to what we are buying for our dollars invested in a decade of war, in the end four dicks have as much control over that outcome as two presidents and congress combined.

It's pretty much irrelevant whose feelings they might embody or even what four guys were thinking (or not) at the time.

it's not irrelevant if one is oncerned with understanding a situation beyond knee-jerkism.

The point is that since Vietnam the State Department and military have steadily been losing control of the media and diplomatic message. This and several similar incidents represent a complete loss of control of the message and the consequences are such that, with regard to what we are buying for our dollars invested in a decade of war, in the end four dicks have as much control over that outcome as two presidents and congress combined.

even if i agreed, what is the point of your point? meaning: "ok and then what?"

I am disappointed, Ivan! I was expecting something like this:

"... nothing new or excessive... the Chinese used to cut off the testicles of their slaughtered enemies and shove them down their throat, then cut a hole in their stomach and crap in it... the ancient Romans, OTOH,.... "

well, since you asked - i'm reading an interesting history of the french foreign legion at the moment ("our friends beneath the sands") - just read a chapter on a very obscure campaign in the late 19th century when the legion confronted a west african kingdom who's name escapes me currently, but was nicknamed "the prussia of west africa" for their intensely militaristic organization and aggressive habits - apparently had a huge force of female soldiers that the legion regarded as superior even to them

anyhow, nice bloody kingdom w/a penchant for aztec-style treatment of prisoners - the throne room, for example, was apparently of great dimesions, and the floor was tiled with the crowns of the skulls of executed prisoners - the king, who did ultimately meet his demise at the hands of the legion, liked to execute folks by burying them neck-deep in the sand, then letting the ants do the rest

good enough for you for now?

It's pretty much irrelevant whose feelings they might embody or even what four guys were thinking (or not) at the time.

it's not irrelevant if one is oncerned with understanding a situation beyond knee-jerkism.

The "knee-jerkism" in this case is thinking motives, attitudes, or societal beliefs matter a wit. What matters is these kinds of incidents wholly undermine the entire effort in concrete ways that have broad and far-reaching consequences both in Afghanistan and the entire Mideast.

The point is that since Vietnam the State Department and military have steadily been losing control of the media and diplomatic message. This and several similar incidents represent a complete loss of control of the message and the consequences are such that, with regard to what we are buying for our dollars invested in a decade of war, in the end four dicks have as much control over that outcome as two presidents and congress combined.

even if i agreed, what is the point of your point? meaning: "ok and then what?"

It's equally irrelevant whether you agree or not - the damage is already done. My "point", is that in an Internet age it's pointless to get involved with protracted occupations involved with 'nation building' in countries where the cultural void with our troops is so sharp that one youtube video can sink the whole affair.

what seems lost here is that this video is fucking peanuts compared to many other pearls of the past decade - jesus christ, the kids up at ft lewis just pled or were found guilty of doing far, far more sinister shit than pissing on some dead dudes who very likely deserved their untimely demise.

g-bay-prison-sex-fuck-fest-ice-cube-dead-dudes-stacked-in-cheerleader-pyramid-redneck-bitches-pointing-their-fingers-at-yer-little-naked-prick-pix ring a bell?

as for the sense in taking the video, uh, they're, ya know, called jarheads, right?

Edited by ivan

People all too often forget how terrible war is and the toll it takes on everyone involved. So, another reminder has arrived in this video... As if the collective cost in blood and treasure of both the "bush" wars weren't enough...

I can feel empathy for the Marines in the vid. make no mistake a shit storm is comin' for them., They deserve it. But they're pawns. Some of the generals that are hunting them now very possibly did similar things in prior wars but that doesn't matter now. The vid is out and America is shocked! And the sec of defense is pissed...

As outside observers, let's try to see it for what it is. A reality check. I'm not sorry the video is out. America needs to see this. That would include all the chest beating nationalists among us. I have little hope much will really be learned by those who need it most but wtf, ya never know... I'm a glass half full kind of guy.

And while we're at it lets give credit to all the folks that are trying to get us the hell out of there...

d

indeed, let's leave 10 years ago already! :)

i'm certainly no holier than these guys - i wouldn't be suprised at all if, in some parallel dimension, i was doing the same things as these dudes - the serene placidness i enjoy daily is undoubtedly the result of a conscious daily routine of long naps and tall glasses of burgundy, both of which seem in short supply in the typical war-zone...

well, since you asked - i'm reading an interesting history of the french foreign legion at the moment ("our friends beneath the sands") - just read a chapter on a very obscure campaign in the late 19th century when the legion confronted a west african kingdom who's name escapes me currently, but was nicknamed "the prussia of west africa" for their intensely militaristic organization and aggressive habits - apparently had a huge force of female soldiers that the legion regarded as superior even to them

Sounds like an interesting book Ivan. I've been reading Edward Abbey lately. Just finishing up Abbey's Road. If you haven't read any of his stuff I think you'd enjoy the books. Interesting guy, great writer.

d

People all too often forget how terrible war is and the toll it takes on everyone involved.

If people knew, many fewer would condone military adventurism, which explains why information is tightly controlled, reporters embedded, tales of "surgical strikes" and "collateral damage" rampant, and images censored. It's wildly successful too as seen in how relatively few give a rip about this nation being permanently at war.

this reminds me of those teenagers stealing money and then showing it on facebook.

why on earth would you record this?

I don't even take a picture of my climbing buddies peeing.

Hell I can't even imagine all of us peeing together.

I hear ya. KKK asked me to climb with him once, but the caveat was he wanted me to pee in his mouth.

Suddenly...my calendar was full.