What if the shelter at Muir is full?

Buckshot

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

i have slept in the shelter. it was like sleeping in a freezer. i think it was actually warmer outside that night. that was 2 years ago during late july, if i remembr correctly.incedently, i took a tent with me but wanted to sleep in the shelter, just to be able to say, Hey I did that.It really was a cool experience, literally and physically.

you should always try to be prepared for the unexpected,so i would recomend a tent should be part of your gear if you dont use it at least you have a backup plan. think of it this way, it's only a few pounds divided amongst friends. have fun, be safe, expect the unexpected.

DPS' advice to ask the Rangers is good. Still, no way of "knowing" "for sure"...

If you do end up getting a shelter spot I hope you have good ear plugs. If you want to actually sleep in there that is. Only time I stayed in that shelter was back in '81, two guys were snoring so loud nobody else could sleep. Our summit day started earlier than we wanted but it was cool because we ended up in front of most everyone else on the way up. Coming down was a zoo, there was no avoiding it on the DC...

If I had a do over on that climb I'd leave Paradise early and carry a tent up to Ingraham Flats. It's nice up there...

d

I heard that sometimes people smoke pot in the Muir hut, is that true?????

Last time I spent the night in the Muir shelter there were six of us, two were former Mt Rainier climbing rangers. I won't out who it was, but one asked if anybody had any pot.