September/October Snowfield Climbs

Curt

Hello all. Hoping someone can help me with some route suggestions.

I'm looking for climbs that involve moderate snow (crampons and axes - no ropes) to take a couple of friends relatively new to mountaineering on. We did Adams (South Spur) a few weeks ago and it was a perfect introduction. I'd love to find a couple more climbs similar to this before getting into the glacier/crevasse stuff.

Unfortunately, this is a crappy time of year to be looking for snow - particularly this year. Any suggestions?

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

We're going down to Daniel/Hinman caps this weekend if you want to come along and check it out. Check out Kololo Peaks region for persistant snow, Wapata Icefields in Canada but I don't know any climbing - best check with the canooks on that one.

There's a little bit of snow on the way up to Daniel, on a remnant glacier (Hyas creek glacier or something) - don't think it has many crevasses.

You could hike up to Echo Rock or Observation Rock on the north side of Rainier. Again just snowfields, with one or two easily avoidable crevasses on O Rock maybe.

You might try some of the higher peaks around Washington/Rainy Pass - like Black Peak - that has a few snowfields.

Your options are pretty slim right now unless you're willing to git on a glacier...

We were up to Camp Muir about 6 weeks ago for a skiboard trip. What a blast! Upper snowfield was excellent skiboarding and after walking down rocky trail in ski boots (sucks) near Pebble Creek we connected dirty little snow patches and made it within a hundred yards of Paradise.

How would the skiing be on Observation or Echo? I'd be pretty excited to ski in late August or September. Worth carrying them up?

Thanks for the info. I'll look into Black Peak...