Timing for Adams Glacier

vsigler

I am planning a trip to Washington/Oregon for late June 2012 and would like to climb both Mt. Adams (via Adams Glacier) and Mt. Hood within the same week. I know that nobody can predict winter and spring snowfall and summer temps, but in general, is the Adams Glacier a viable route during that time of year with regard to (i) accessibility of the trailhead (likely Killen Creek), and (ii) the condition of the route up the glacier? I've also seen reports describing another trailhead that's a little farther down the road from Killen Creek and is thought to be a little higher and "closer" to High Camp. Can anyone elaborate on that? Thanks in advance.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

The other trail that you mention is probably the High Divide trail. It is a more direct approach to the Adams glacier and the start of the climb. You would bypass High Camp. Head up Adams Creek from the jct with the PCT.

If you take the Killen Creek to High Camp approach, you'll need to traverse west onto the lower Adams glacier and over to the right side to the start of the climb. Since most climbers descend the North Cleaver, setting up a base at High Camp or above is preferred.

Usually the 2329 road is not clear of snow until early July. In early season, its best to approach the Killen Cr TH from the Randle side (23 road) because the road holds late snow between Takhlakh Lake and High Divide TH. The Forest Service office in Randle will have the best information on road conditions.

You can tell when the trailhead is snow free by looking at the Potato Hill weather station data:

http://raws.wrh.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/roman/meso_base.cgi?stn=PTHW1

When the snow depth reaches zero, go!. Thats also about the best time for the glacier. Later on in the season, it can get quite broken up. I've also got some more beta here

http://sites.google.com/site/shannonpahl/trip-planning/adamsglacier-1

• 1 month later...