Ranger shot at Mt Rainier NP - not good

elaine

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think what would be cool is if we collectively organized a Margaret Anderson memorial cllimb of Mt Rainier in 2012. Perhaps it could act as a small donation vehicle for a fund for the kids.

Lets do it.

I completely agree.

We'll get behind this. Let's brainstorm some ways to help her family out.

Unfortunately it doesn't sound like there will be a trial :( Hopefully this will be a wakeup that more needs to be done for these guys returning from war.

Sounds like the mountain took the shooter.

I know I will catch hell for this but...

RIP poor PTSD vet soldier.

Condolences to both families.

You are right Gene.

No excuse but, in the last two consecutive years the number of Veteran Suicides is higher than the number of Soldiers Killed in Action.

Sad indeed on all counts.

It needed to be said Gene. I look at this as two more casualites of the Iraq/Afghan wars.

I have to disagree. I work with veterans and a lot have PTSD. I have the up most respect for them and what they went through. But don't let the fact that he is a vet and has PTSD blind you from what he has done. The man didn't snap and beat the hell out of someone. He had time to cool down and still decided to take the life of a women. This is what's wrong with America were all so touchy feely and don't want to draw a line in the sand. He wasn't drafted into the military and should be held accountable for his actions. He's a man and he knows what's right and what's wrong. If he hurt himself then through the PTSD in front of it. He instead took the life of someone else and there's no excuse for that. Then to blame the government and count it has two more lives lost in the war is crazy. This isn't the first person to have problem with depression. I can't wait tell someone blames guns as the problem for this.

I have to disagree

I wasn't offering any kind of excuse, but the fact remains when Johnny come marching home after several tours with a scorching case of PTSD, this kind of thing will happen more often.

I have the up most respect for them...

If he hurt himself then through the PTSD in front of it...

I can't wait tell someone blames guns as...

This is what's wrong with America were all so touchy feely

Funny. I thought the problem with America was its poor educational system, clearly I was wrong.

Edited by DPS

I have to disagree. I work with veterans and a lot have PTSD. I have the up most respect for them and what they went through. But don't let the fact that he is a vet and has PTSD blind you from what he has done. The man didn't snap and beat the hell out of someone. He had time to cool down and still decided to take the life of a women. This is what's wrong with America were all so touchy feely and don't want to draw a line in the sand. He wasn't drafted into the military and should be held accountable for his actions. He's a man and he knows what's right and what's wrong. If he hurt himself then through the PTSD in front of it. He instead took the life of someone else and there's no excuse for that. Then to blame the government and count it has two more lives lost in the war is crazy. This isn't the first person to have problem with depression. I can't wait tell someone blames guns as the problem for this.

Well, all of this apparently started with an argument over guns during which he shot 4 people.

I sincerely hope you don't work with vets in any official care capacity

PTSD is like a lot of mental health disorders, having it doesn't give you a free pass to hurt people/break the law. However we as a society also need to take some responsibility for creating an environment where PTSD can thrive. (Eds note, who knows what happened to this guy, he may or may not be mentally ill, he might just be a bastard. All this talk is strictly speculation and making a ton of assumptions.)

-Nate

I'd love to stop needless wars and help the world avoid all the bad effects that war brings.

But right now I want to focus my time on helping a couple of kids who just lost their mom.

I think what would be cool is if we collectively organized a Margaret Anderson memorial cllimb of Mt Rainier in 2012. Perhaps it could act as a small donation vehicle for a fund for the kids.

Lets do it.

I completely agree.

We'll get behind this. Let's brainstorm some ways to help her family out.

I'm in for the memorial climb. I'm sure it will get a lot of support.

It would be great if someone who can speak for the CC.com community would take point on this.

If we act quickly and announce the climb to the local TV news media before the evening news, it would make a big difference in the amount of money we raise for the kids.

It should only take a few minutes to update the front page and include a link to a paypal donation page.

Just some ideas. I'm not someone who can speak for the climbing community, but if one of you who's reading this IS, I have some public relations experience and can help make some calls. PM me if you'd like my help.

Edited by Friedrich

to those on the thread that like the idea of a memorial climb, i am not sure i will be the one who can organize it personally as my time is very limited however one of my goals in 2012 is to climb something and i hope to at least participate, if not organize. all that said, earliest i'd be willing to try is around june 1.

its now on my stack as a TODO and what we'll do is this: if you are interested in participating and have not yet replied as such, simply reply on this thread as some others have already done. when the time comes, we'll get those names together and throw out a couple dates, with a reasonable amount of warning... Between now and then we'll figure out how to collect and then donate funds.

I like the idea of a memorial fund. Ambivalent about a memorial climb, UNLESS it is used as a way for us all to raise more $ from sponsors to augment the memorial fund.

You know, a lot of folks here are just crag climbers. Perhaps we could just all gather at Camp Muir some Saturday?

In all seriousness, I'm down with a fund. Children age 2 and 4? Ho man but a fund is just a band aid, but what else can us not-personally-connected average joe's offer?

Please move the PTSD debate to another thread.

I think lining up a slideshow might be the most effective way of generating funds. We have enough media connections to publicize it. Who could we line up that would have a broad appeal? We could do SausageFest as a post-funk event.

Viesturs?

Someone to talk about the role of Mt Rainier providing a training ground for bigger mountains? I think we need to move fast while the public's attention is on the matter.

OW, yes it's a bandaid, but part of what is provided is the idea that a lot of people care and are willing to dip into their own resources to help a little bit. Our world could use more of that.

This is so tragic on so many levels. I did not know Margeret,but met her quite a few times. Standing out in the cold always she always had a warm smile for everyone. The world is a colder place with her absence.

I was one of the people held in lockdown up at Paradise for 16 hrs yesterday. I can not over state my admiration and appreciation for all of the park personell from the rangers to the food concession workers and the many volenteers. Law enforcement also needs a great thanks for keeping us safe in a difficult situation. Lastly, human nature really shined during our stay at "Paradise Hilton".Everyone was very kind and considerate.

It can be hard at times to see any good coming from this, but I think it has already started. A memorial climb, a fund for the family, it is up to us. A spark has been struck for a beacon hope and rememberence.

Kapman