man, give me someone REAL!

Alex

"In the days before the elections, Gephardt aides and outside advisers said he was all but certain to run for the 2004 Democratic presidential nomination, and considering stepping aside as minority leader immediately after the elections or a few months into the next Congress."

I am tired of seeing weak-as-Kokanee Democratic nominees for real leadership roles. I wouldnt vote for Gephardt. I was forced to vote for Gore when W showed up, and Nader was sure to not win. Not like the Republicans have it any better (I mean, shit, W is the best they could do?)

Why do we have a real leadership vacuum in this country on both sides of the political aisle? I bet half the reason voter turnout is less than 50% is directly related to the lame-ass politicians who bubble up from who knows where and make "choices" so seemingly pointless.

Man when Tim Eymans initiative passed again, I was just going to puke.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

As Above, PURE POLITICS...NOTHING TO DO WITH CLIMBING:

Nancy Pilosi will likely take over for Gephart thereby taking the Democrat Party even farther to the left at a time when the American public is trending center/slightly right-of-center.

While her appointment as house minority leader is sure to make some of the lefties here on CC.Com happy, it will bring even more moderates into the Republican camp. There is even talk of one or two Democratic defections in the house. Things are looking good for Republicans long-term. (I'll bet Mondale is breathing a BIG sigh of relief today. Being in the senate minority wasn't part of the deal they promised him.)

I suspect Democrats will be even more nasty and vitriolic than they usually are during the next two years.

As for Washington State: Democrats have brought us the highest unemployment in the nation, driven Boeing to Chicago, and done NOTHING for education. Thanks. I-51 was a JOKE...Never had a chance. I-776 will be ruled unconstitutional, but it gave the people of WA a chance to vent their frustration with Sound Transit's $5,000-an-inch light rail and their constant scheming and deceit.

[ 11-06-2002, 10:51 PM: Message edited by: Fairweather ]

Quoting Fairweather Here:

“Nancy Pilosi will likely take over for Gephart thereby taking the Democrat Party even farther to the left at a time when the American public is trending center/slightly right-of-center.”

The problem with Democrats is not that they are too far left, its that they have been so obsessed with “the center” ever since Reagan that they don’t have any vision or leadership to offer. Think back to Kindergarten, there was a reason when you played Duck Duck Goose that the middle was called “the mush pot.” There’s no there there. The middle is where practicality and compromise made workable solutions out of ideas that come from elsewhere, but there is no inherent ideology of the middle, hence nothing to stand on and say “This is what I believe.” Through focus groups and surveys, the Democrats have tried to craft a profile out of “I want what you want, tell me what to think” and you just can’t lead from the middle. You’ve got to be out on some edge if you’re going to argue that you’re in front, and I think that’s how the Republicans have gotten to where they are now. Back in the day when they were sucking hind tit, they largely asserted the same vision even when they lost, and agree or disagree with them, there is no doubt that they have a plan. The great mass of “middle America” (politics, not class) don’t have a plan, so they are looking for someone who does. The Democrats need to take a page from Cpt. Caveman’s playbook: “I don’t care if you like it, this is what I think.” The Democrats need to give their existing leadership the big heave ho. Pelosi in charge would be a big improvement, even if they continue to be the minority party, because at least she believes in something larger than “I should be in charge.” As it stands now, the Democratic Party can’t even get it together to be a decent opposition, and the result is that the public flocks to politics like they do to a lame Superbowl.

“(I'll bet Mondale is breathing a BIG sigh of relief today. Being in the senate minority wasn't part of the deal they promised him.) “

I don’t know that is the case, but if so, good riddance. If I were King, from now on I would say only fighters need apply.

“I suspect Democrats will be even more nasty and vitriolic than they usually are during the next two years.”

Are you suggesting that the Republican’s are not nasty and vitriolic? Isn’t it still a little early in the morning to be out to lunch?

quote:

Originally posted by Alex:

Man when Tim Eymans initiative passed again, I was just going to puke.

Apparently 60+% of the voters chose it as "their" initiative.

I think TTT said something about the Republicans in Washington State. I have to say that I am not too impressed with those that call themselves Republicans here. I think they are a bunch of milk-toast pussies who are afraid to put it out there and stand up for something.

Greg W

quote:

Originally printed in The Stranger Feb. 2002:

[...]no one ever voted for Eyman. People vote for his ideas--and his ideas, in case you haven't noticed, have wide appeal. Voters who may have been offended by Eyman's lies still want cheaper car tabs and lower property taxes, and they're going to keep voting for greed and self-interest.

Republicans indeed. [Roll Eyes]

quote:

Originally posted by thelawgoddess:

quote:

Originally printed in The Stranger Feb. 2002:

[...]no one ever voted for Eyman. People vote for his ideas--and his ideas, in case you haven't noticed, have wide appeal. Voters who may have been offended by Eyman's lies still want cheaper car tabs and lower property taxes, and they're going to keep voting for greed and self-interest.

Republicans indeed.
[Roll Eyes]
??? [Confused]

This state has some wussy politicians. Coming from Chicago, what this state needs is some Mayor Daleys running around calling the shots. Eyman would be a laughing stock and things would get done. What is the use of initiatives? That's why we vote for these people. Does the term democratic republic mean anything? I trust the voting public less than I trust the watered-down kokanee politians. I mean these are the people that made "Jackass" No. 1 at the box office.

I'm really looking forward to W having his way with his croonies and bulldoze every tree out there. Where's the guy that throws pies in the faces of world leaders when you need him?

[MR T]

quote:

Originally posted by thelawgoddess:

they may be "milk toast pussies" but the fuckers do vote.

I was talking about the Republican legislators, not the voters. My point was that the Republican party needs to take a stand on a few issues if they want to win any type of control.

Greg, you talking on the state level? Because at the national level the Rs control the Legislative and Executive Branches, and arguable the Judicial as well. I think we'll only see the typical R agenda put forward in an even bigger way for the next two years than in the last two with the Rs picking up solid control of the Senate on Tuesday.

It ought to be interesting, to say the very least.

quote:

Originally posted by plexus:

This state has some wussy politicians. Coming from Chicago, what this state needs is some Mayor Daleys running around calling the shots. Eyman would be a laughing stock and things would get done. What is the use of initiatives? That's why we vote for these people. Does the term democratic republic mean anything? I trust the voting public less than I trust the watered-down kokanee politians. I mean these are the people that made "Jackass" No. 1 at the box office.

I'm really looking forward to W having his way with his croonies and bulldoze every tree out there. Where's the guy that throws pies in the faces of world leaders when you need him?

[MR T]

I grew up in the Chicago area - Fuck Richard Daley. He comes from a real respectable political family [Roll Eyes] . The point of initiatives is that we, the people, do not feel that the Legislature is not doing what their constituents want. The fact that you trust the voting people less than the politicians seems odd since the people vote in the politicians. The beauty of our model of government is that the people can be involved.

Greg W

quote:

Originally posted by allison:

Greg, you talking on the state level? Because at the national level the Rs control the Legislative and Executive Branches, and arguable the Judicial as well. I think we'll only see the typical R agenda put forward in an even bigger way for the next two years than in the last two with the Rs picking up solid control of the Senate on Tuesday.

It ought to be interesting, to say the very least.

State level, Allison. The people vote for lower taxes and less government (ref. I776, R51, & R53 votes) yet they won't vote for the party that supposedly stands for these principles, the Republican Party. Further, the Washington Republican Party avoided backing I-776, "No on R-51" and "No on R-53" which, arguably, contain principles their Party upholds. Doesn't make sense. Of course it doesn't, it's politics.

Greg W