Solo application for Rainer

Marmot Prince

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Look guys, it seems like I have had a bad rap for my Rainier proposal.

Yeah kinda like the tire dude in the poster, also noticed he spilled his wine so hard the glass broke.

Seriously.... don't worry about it most of us know darn well you couldn't and wouldn't do it anyway. (Credible trolling I mean) Later MP!

...a video demonstrating my rappel techniques:

Damn, that dude is so fuq'n sketched! :shock:

I couldn't even finish the video, I was so damned shocked with the shit he was trusting his life to.

A square knot to close the harness!!?? And did you see the "carabiner" he was using? It's little more than a fuq'n hardware store key fob! And the method of how he attached the rope to the bridge? He had a little quicklink tied to the end of what looked like little more than a clothesline, with a 2-inch tail, then threaded back through the quicklink to girth hitch it around the railroad tie! WTF!!!??? After that, I just couldn't watch any more of it... :noway:

That was a nice find, Prince! :laf:

...a video demonstrating my rappel techniques:

Damn, that dude is so fuq'n sketched! :shock:

I couldn't even finish the video, I was so damned shocked with the shit he was trusting his life to.

A square knot to close the harness!!?? And did you see the "carabiner" he was using? It's little more than a fuq'n hardware store key fob! And the method of how he attached the rope to the bridge? He had a little quicklink tied to the end of what looked like little more than a clothesline, with a 2-inch tail, then threaded back through the quicklink to girth hitch it around the railroad tie! WTF!!!??? After that, I just couldn't watch any more of it... :noway:

That was a nice find, Prince! :laf:

He had some good points, like making sure to point out that the clothesline he was using could hold at least his body weight statically. It was also good that the rotting piece of wood that was his single anchor point had at least 2 rusty nails connecting it to the railroad bridge.

• 2 weeks later...

Well guess what I got in the mail? It also came with a handwritten note asking for my autograph and commending me on my mountaineering achievements. Ok fine I made up the last part.

Mr. Prince,

You have been approved for a solo climb of Mount Rainier for the 2012

season. Your name has been added to the Park's database of those approved

for soloing in the current year. To speed up your registration, please

bring this letter with you when you come to register for your climb.

Approval of your solo application in no way constitutes a recommendation of

your plan by Mount Rainier National Park or any of its climbing rangers.

Solo climbing in glaciated terrain is inherently dangerous and may result

in death or serious injury. With this approval you are still required to

register for your climb and pay the cost-recovery fee previous to your

climb.

Please print this notification out and bring it to present when you

register for your climb. If our computer systems are down then this will

speed up the registration process!

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLuCfWEZ_hQ&feature=related

I think the lesson we should take away is that anyone can get a permit, (and noone should probably climb solo without training and experience).

Edited by Marmot Prince

Maybe something like this?

Solo climbing in glaciated terrain is inherently dangerous and may result in death or serious injury. With this approval you are still required to register for your climb and pay the body recovery fee previous to your climb.

Hey Sobo, bow down to the Prince. :P

Hey Prince, be careful, pick your day, path and time well and you'll be fine. Have fun!

With this approval you are still required to

register for your climb and pay the cost-recovery fee previous to your

climb.

What is this fee? Is this something beyond the $43 climbing permit fee? If so, is it a deposit that you get back upon return?

I would surmise it's just a reminder that you still have to pay your basic $43 climbering fee. Some peeps might think that once they've been issued their climbing permit, then that's all there is to it and they're all good. That's my guess.

Spray? Maybe. I believe the point of applying for a solo permit is to provide on duty rangers with extra information about climbers on the mountain.

You show up with the solo permit pay the regular fee and state the route you intend to climb. That way the park can notify rangers in the general area of the route that there will be a soloist climbing X route today through the end of the permit date.

Spray? Maybe. I believe the point of applying for a solo permit is to provide on duty rangers with extra information about climbers on the mountain.

You show up with the solo permit pay the regular fee and state the route you intend to climb. That way the park can notify rangers in the general area of the route that there will be a soloist climbing X route today through the end of the permit date.

"Moron Prince is getting all third person singular talking about his training video..."

"Moron". Hmmm. Sounds like spray to me.

The guy asked for info on soloing Rainier. You want a quality site here, right - that doesn't turn people off?

Well, the apparent loss of 4 people on Rainier does not shed a kind light on the Marmot Prince, or some of the tones in this thread.

It is a serious mountain that does regularly claim well prepared and experienced parties and I found MP's trolling disrespectful of both the mountain and the dead.

Sheesh, MP couldn't even spell the mountain in the thread title, nuff said.