Solo application for Rainer

Marmot Prince

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gentlemen, Gentlemen. This is merely an academic discussion. I am merely positing that it is a potential solution to use your cell phone while trapped in a crevasse. This is not to say I've tested my cellphone extensively at any given elevation, location. It just to say that my cellphone was able to upload photos at around 12,000 feet. Pretty impressive and it takes a pretty good signal to do that.

spray on...

There are cell towers located near Paradise, and you had a straight line through the air between you at 12K and those towers. When in the crevasse, you've lost that.

academically speaking I'd carry a weather balloon and a canister of helium obviously. go light and fast, except for that gear and some food. if i fall in, I'll float out!

That is actually quite brilliant. Carry a big mylar balloon, a length of wire, and a small helium cannister. Loft the balloon, connect the wire to the antenna of your cell phone and make the call. Other climbers are likely to see the balloon and will prolly check the crack. That is if you survive the fall.

A: Since it is not in my plan to fall into a crevasse, if I do, I will use whatever time I have left to slowly melt an epic poem, extemporaneously composed, into the ice-wall with my tongue while I die of hypothermia.

you wasted your chance to show off your preternatural skill at haiku, grasshopper.

There are cell towers located near Paradise, and you had a straight line through the air between you at 12K and those towers. When in the crevasse, you've lost that.

"On Tuesday, April 27th [2010], park climbing rangers, assisted by guides from International Mountain Guides and Alpine Ascents International, successfully rescued two climbers who had fallen into a crevasse during whiteout conditions on Mount Rainier. The two fell a distance of approximately 75 feet just below Camp Muir (elevation 9,700 feet). The initial report of the accident was received by a 911 operator when one of the climbers called out by cell phone from the bottom of the crevasse on Monday afternoon."

You don't suppose it matters whether the crevasse is aligned towards or perpendicular to the tower, eh?

I guess you should only fall into the ones with the right alignment.

SPOT MESSAGE FROM: MarmotPrince

Has fallen into a crevasse. May need a rescue.

Edited by G-spotter

It may be true that I've climbed a fair piece, but by Marmot Prince's royal proclamation, I still don't know shit about it.

I especially savored the delicious irony that I pointed out in my post on page 2 of this thread (6th post down from top of page).

Take note of the chronology I included in the "Originally Posted By" boxes of that post.

I love that, ya know. Pointing out when a douchebag steps in his own pile of shit. :laf:

Nitro worked in the movie....

I second the helmet cam too. You can ask GoPro to market the steel plated armored version with the extra sticky 3M head mounting device. Get 'em to be your sponsor and get it all on tape.... so the rangers can rescue the camera.

Watch out sneaky crevasse .... Here comes the Prince.

BOOM!!!!

It might make sense to carry a modestly sized radio antenna in case something happens due to lack of innate intelligence and inadequate pre-trip book and Interweb trolling experience acquisition. Has anyone climbed with such a device? I know the answer already, but I'm just asking to see what the answer is.

arecibo1.jpg