[TR] Mount Ellinor - Winter Chute 12/26/2011

JeffreyR

Trip: Mount Ellinor - Winter Chute

Date: 12/26/2011

Trip Report:

Was originally planning on climbing Mt Washington, but the road was too snowy past the lower Ellinor parking lot and i had no desire for several miles of road walking.

It was snowing at the parking lot, but there was no significant snow pack until the base of the chute. The bottom third of the chute consisted of about 10 inches of snow on rock and ice. These abnormal conditions have made Ellinor a much more fun climb!

DSCN4079.JPG

(looking up the chute)

DSCN4082.JPG

(climbing in the lower section)

The top 2/3 of the route were a mixture of knee deep powder, ice, and frozen scree crap making for fairly fast climbing.

DSCN4091.JPG

We summited around 1 pm as a storm was moving in and opted to descend via the summer trail since we could see several day old tracks leading down it. I pretty quickly lost the trail under the new snow and ended up BSing my way down through some cliffy and fun down-climbs. Overall a fun day and much more exciting than this route usually is under normal conditions.

DSCN4108.JPG

DSCN4109.JPG

Better watch out for this guy...

DSCN4113.JPG

he seems like a real creep...

1448462185_186f26ebb9.jpg

Approach Notes:

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah that chute is weird with just a little snow in it. Washington is probably easier in the winter starting from the last crossing of Big creek than the lower Ellinor lot. Angle up the north side following the path of least resistance. You'll end up a quarter mile or so from the regular parking lot.

• 1 month later...