Moving to Seattle advice

duckfeet

I worked in Everett for 10 years. Now, I like black Reeboks and wife-beaters as much as the next registered sex offender, but the last day I was there I remember standing in an auto parts store line behind a guy with an enormous boil on his (bare) shoulder. The thing might have even had a face on it, but the axle grease smear made it hard to tell.

I sang all the way back to Seattle.

Have you seen that Youtube video of the guy draining this enormous boil? Man, that was really satisfying to watch. It just kept on giving! First the girl lances it, and then the custard just keeps on coming. Just when you think its done, it produces another pint!

and then they hook up the steamer and have a latte!

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I worked in Everett for 10 years. Now, I like black Reeboks and wife-beaters as much as the next registered sex offender, but the last day I was there I remember standing in an auto parts store line behind a guy with an enormous boil on his (bare) shoulder. The thing might have even had a face on it, but the axle grease smear made it hard to tell.

Its pretty funny, and well ironic too, how you promote yourself as such a champion of diversity and defender of the persecuted. But when you actually encounter anyone from outside of your sheltered socio-economic bubble the arrogant judgemental white man comes out.

Its pretty funny, and well ironic too, how you promote yourself as such a champion of diversity and defender of the persecuted. But when you actually encounter anyone from outside of your sheltered socio-economic bubble the arrogant judgemental white man comes out.

You think way to much about Tvash, in a quantitative and qualitative way.

Edited by genepires

it's a fool who looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart :)

tvash is the guru from the second.... i don't know third season of "californication" showtime series. i'm guessin not the kind of guy u want as ur wing man if ur lookin to get laid, JUST SAYIN ;)

it's a fool who looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart :)

yada yada! give a monkey a power drill and it will summit anything ;)

And finally, Boulderians (Coloradans in general, really) employ expensive Ti rods (that match the finish on their mountain bikes) for up-the-ass-sticks. Wenatcheeans, if they use one at all, generally settle for rake handles from Walmart.

in GENERAL and GENERALLY are the key words here :)

not that i'm offended by ur GENERAL statements... but then again i don't belong to the SUPER BEST FRIEND CLUB either :)

My wife and I are looking at moving to Seattle in the near future (mid Jan) from Montana and I'm not gonna lie...going from a town of 60k people to a couple of million is scary!

We'd be working downtown at Harborview Medical Center and and wondering about places to live and the commutes. I've heard from a few people about Issaquah. On google the drive is easy, but how is it really with traffic? What other spots would be good to look at with fairly easy drives into the city, but also have good out of town access for climbing/skiing/fun?

Anyone here work at Harborview?

i think working 3 days a week makes any commute less of an issue. coupled with having 3-5 days off.

another consideration: what time will you be commuting? coming into the city between 7-9 am or 3:30-6 pm presents a different challenge than any other times.

if i were in your shoes, i would consider renting a house on the eastside for 6 months: north bend carnation issaquah territory; and then a house in seattle: capitol hill columbia city green lake territory. and evaluating.

very very different vibes between eastside and westside.

I think the bigger adjustment will be working at harborview. That should be a big welcome to the city.

I believe that the repeated advice to sign a six month lease is the best idea, you have time to figure out where you want to be. I live in first hill, right next to harborview, and like it. I walk everywhere. Do you feel that you will like an urban enviro? Can you deal with small apts? Are you loners, because if you are new additions to the burbs or rural areas it might take awhile to make friends. I don't think living in issaquah resembles living south of Missula any more than first/capital hill.

Wow, this thread makes me want to run. Just not sure if thats going to be running towards or away. Thanks for all the advice. A 6 month lease is a great idea we hadn't thought about.

No poaching in MT. However, if the said moose looked "funny" and was posing a "threat" or looking to mate with any of your multiple wives or 25 kids its got another thing coming

My wife and I are looking at moving to Seattle in the near future (mid Jan) from Montana and I'm not gonna lie...going from a town of 60k people to a couple of million is scary!

We'd be working downtown at Harborview Medical Center and and wondering about places to live and the commutes. I've heard from a few people about Issaquah. On google the drive is easy, but how is it really with traffic? What other spots would be good to look at with fairly easy drives into the city, but also have good out of town access for climbing/skiing/fun?

Anyone here work at Harborview?

I can't believe no one mentioned beautiful Kent.

I'm with ya, Duck--not too fond of big cities either. But if it were me, I would just live in the city: Ballard would be my choice,and I believe Ballard is less than 10 miles from Harborview, so it's a reasonable bike commute.

Ballard is a cute village like area with a neat climbing gym, a great Indian restaurant, and one of my fave stores: Second Ascent. My aunt lives in Ballard and moved there from a small town in CO.

My friends just "got the hell" out of Issaquah and were sick of the commuting and traffic jams. They moved to a small town in ID...now they "tele-commute"

I know many folks who live up north: Arlington, Stanwood, Marysville and even Mt Vernon who commute to Seattle. LOTS of driving, but they don't mind too much.

Also, check this site out if you haven't already (it actually picked Wenatchee for me, but I already decided to move there first!) You have to put in your email address but they never bothered me after I got the link.

FINDYOURSPOT

I'm moving back to WA (Wenatchee) this spring.

Safe travels to you and your family.