Yard Sale Pet Peeve

telemarker

Why do people insist they've, "never fallen on their cam." I mean who the hell cares? Gear is meant to arrest falls, so it's okay to fall on your cam and still sell it later. Let me guess, you've also never weighted your rope, only lightly placed that stopper, only held that ice screw next to the ice.

C'mon man!

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe that used cams, in fact, Metolius U shaped cams specifically, consistently represent the best gear buy today. For some reason everyone thinks that the Camalots should sell used for about the price you can get them new, sometimes even more - while the Metolius cams, which are friggan awesome and also last forever, sell used for a steep discount. There isn't enough Mastercams to be reliably purchased so I'd exclude them form that statement, they are new enough to still sell at a premium when used. However, both the Metolius U stem - the 3 and 4 cams units, are very plentiful on the secondary market.

Bought my kid some used gear for Christmas this year. Tossed him some of the 18 Wild Country Helium's that David Hiers sold which looked brand new ($4 each) that he'd advertised months back in the yard sale on this site. I also got the lad a set of used (old style, not the DAT) Metolius 4 cam units. The seller had said they were in "good condition": they weren't. He never mentioned any "falls". But I got a hell of a deal, and no one wanted them as they didn't have any slings. After I got them I simply sent them to Metolius for the factory to sew new slings on. $3 per sling is the charge. They also replaced 2 of the U shaped wires as well ($8.00 per unit) because they had bends inhibiting smooth functioning, most likely from falls over edges. The business end of the cams, the cams themselves, looked great, and they had featured prominently in the ebay sale photo.

Wow, those beater things came back, clean, lubed, and all shiny polished and new looking. Literally brand new. The boy thought they were brand new, and was shocked that they were used and also at how cheap I'd gotten them for.

Damned impressive. :moondance: Metolius for the win!

...anyway, guess I'd better tell him not to fall on them now. :)

I've got some "almost new" TP, only used once. Of course, NO FALLS on it either.

If it was Metolius brand toilet paper you could send that shit back and magically get a perfect condition brand new roll of clean white sparkling Charmin' back....

...or as it's not used climbing gear and thus unsafe, you could list it on Rob's list @ work for a low low price....

I've got some "almost new" TP, only used once. Of course, NO FALLS on it either.

If it was Metolius brand toilet paper you could send that shit back and magically get a perfect condition brand new roll of clean white sparkling Sharmin' back....

...or as it's not used climbing gear and thus unsafe, you could list it on Rob's list @ work for a low low price....