[TR] FA - The Penstock 12/24/2011

AlpineMonkey

Trip: FA - Tumwater Canyon - The Penstock

Date: 12/24/2011

Trip Report:

Curt Haire and I did a new route up the Tumwater Canyon. It is across the river, immediately before Rattlesnake Rock. It was pretty fun. 3 Full Pitches, WI 2-3. I'll refer to it as "The Penstock."

Approach through the tunnel.

DSCN03011.jpg

DSCN0304.jpg

The first pitch was a short brittle step of WI3.

DSCN02902.JPG

After that we found about 120 meters of WI2.

DSCN02921.jpg

DSCN02991.jpg

Fun day out.

Approach Notes:

Park at the pipe bridge just after leaving Leavenworth. Walk upstream, go through the tunnel for quickest access.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

most likely hasn't been ticked because in a "normal" year it would be buried under tons of snow & avalanche debris. Tumwater canyon is showing all kinds of ice at low elevations this year, a result of little snow, and a persistent temperature inversion.

most of these flows are almost never seen... I'm seeing stuff that I've never seen in my thirty+ years in the area-

you'll need to get on it before it either melts, or the next storm-cycle turns it into a hyperactive avalanche repeater...

-Haireball

As a civil engineer with an eye to engineering history in Washington, I approve of the name change from the earlier moniker "The Easy One". Good on ya, Craig!

PS: We actually refer to those types of wooden pipes that are wrapped in steel wire as "woodstave" pipes.

But "The Penstock" will serve just as well, as a penstock is the "feed pipe" for water to a hydroelectric powerhouse.

PPS: Craig, howz come you and I have never climbed together? Am I just too old, fat, and curmudgeony for a young buckster like you? :)

sobo - old & curmudgeonly can't be the issue, 'cause he's climbin' with me...

climbed it again on the 27th with John Tarver, WET but still fun...

Craig - Tarver insists that I'm wrong -says the railroad was never on that side of the river, so maybe the tunnel really was just for the pipe... You probably have the contacts to verify the real history... and "Penstock" really is a far more pallatable name - thanks for rethinking. I was thinking of something along the lines of "Promenade", but I like Penstock.

-Haireball

John Tarver is right. That was all for the penstocks running down from the dam, to the powerhouse at the bridge. You can read all about it at the dam (?) and at the Lake Wenatchee rest area. It probably was operational into the fifties. It suppied power for electric locomotives thru the Cascade tunnel.

There was also a power house in Skykomish. Into the eighties, by peering thru the windows one could see old package boilers