Advice for how to spend the week in February???

Andy Zig

In an effort to return this post to its intended topic

Famous last words for cc.com

not dissing, you just must not use this site much if you think these monkeys actually stay on any particular topic rather than just using the web as a proverbial pissing ground

stay safe Andy, stay away from random flamers

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With the expectation of # 4, all appear genuine. Can anyone confirm this?

Yes, If someone recommended #4 it was not genuine. As far as I know, what is referred to as the north face (actually is NE face) has only been skied by two people.

http://cascadeclimbers.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=966443

For the ultimate experts, it is a genuine no-fall zone, in the best of conditions.

2) Drive to Timberline Lodge (on Mt. Hood) any day of the ski season - the climbers route is skier's left, low angled, open slopes up past the ski area to the summit crater. You can skin up anytime and sleep in your car in the lot.

Re. #2... because it's very important and it's not in your summary, I'll mention again...

...review the navigation instructions for south side Hood that can be found in the climber's registration room just right of lower entrance to lower lodge...

If you skin up to Crater Rock and follow the fall line down in a whiteout you will not end up where you started.

...you can get cliffed out or find yourself in Zig Zag Canyon (big time avy danger)

Have a great week!

#4 is definitely out if you lack sufficient avy experieince, no matter how expert of a skier you are. You will need that experience to assess the slope, and by your own admission, you don't have enough of it.

Re. #2... because it's very important and it's not in your summary, I'll mention again...

...review the navigation instructions for south side Hood that can be found in the climber's registration room just right of lower entrance to lower lodge...
Or you can find a PDF of it on PMR's website and print it out. Look for the Mt. Hood South Side Landmark Map.

My browser is fuq'n up right now or I would link you directly to it. :rolleyes:

#4 was a non-sequitur

#2 and #3 (palmer/southside) are basically the same thing.

#1 is going to be a more 'wilderness' feel but st helens definitely has terrain traps not found on southside of hood and would be much better with a partner. That said on most decent weekend days in the winter/spring you can find 20 to 50 people going up.

point of clarification about the 'sno-park pass' -- someone correct me if I'm wrong but here goes:

1) if oregon plates on car, buy oregon pass. Valid in OR and WA snoparks

2) if WA plates on car, buy WA pass, valid in OR or WA

3) WA plates with OR purchased pass = no bueno in WA

have fun

you have to question if your experience back east is relevant for getting down some cascade concrete mush. But if you come real quick, the snow will be just like back east, hard ice. Wait a couple weeks and it could be much deeper and harder to ski for the typical east coast experienced skier. (before anyone jumps my shite about this, I skied back east for a couple years)

But if the conditions are this deep, being alone is a very bad idea anyway. You can have a partner and still be skiing alone. A partner without skills is worthless in a accident situation. (I don't think I have great avi skills anymore as i haven't practiced the rescue aspect in a long time)

maybe you could use part of this trip for learning the avi skills? Buy the gear, take a course and then you won't have to subject yourself to the monkeys again. :)

hope it all works out for you.

• 2 weeks later...

Andyzig - your summation of 4 points was good. and you are correct that the North Face of Hood is not skiable for even most expert skiers.

"Backcountry" skiing in the west usually puts you either above, on, or below active avalanche terrain. Timber cover does not always indicate safety. Old growth stands can be "gladed" by avalanche activity. "tight" trees are generally smaller, and may be covered by snowpack, and consequently of no help. So I would add a fifth point to the four: ski with a partner, and both acquire a transceiver and shovel and practice with them ahead of time.

I've recovered too many bodies buried in places where travelers well-versed in avalanche prediction and response have misjudged.

Some of the acquaintances I've lost were avalanche professionals.

• 3 weeks later...

A handful of truly advanced & expert back country skiers in NE specialize in descending very steep and narrow hiking trails that are lined by dense and unskiable brush and which are partly covered in water ice and rocks and frequently pass over minor cliffs. Apparently, the relevant technique is, to point ski downhill.

It may or may NOT be possible to survive both NE and PNW back country skiing, if appropriate consideration and techniques are applied to whatever project is at hand.

However, members of the Appalachian Mountain Club tell me that survival on Mount Washington, New Hampshire, is unlikely without at least a full down suit and Korean-style Boots... and even then, AMC hiker members often risk their lives rescuing many stupid experts.

Also, they tell me, is dangerous to listen to Hindu-style music prior to visiting. Avoid this.

Probably less of a problem on Mt Hood.

Hood's a great place for solo skiing. Lots of non crevassed terrain at all angles, in the trees and above.

grab yourself a map and chat with the folks who know the mountain best:

mthoodskipatrol.org

Plenty of non-avi prone backcountry terrain on Hood, if you don't mind cutting back on the slope angle a bit. Once you're there you can chat up folks you meet in the B/C. Avi conditions at the time might just allow some steeper runs, who knows? Check it:

http://www.nwac.us/

We had some much publicized deaths on Hood a few years back involving folks who just happened to be from the east, hence the typical innernut bluster displayed here.

Enjoy.

Edited by tvashtarkatena