[TR] Mt. St. Helens Skiing Dec 3, 2011 - Worm Flows via Marble Mtn Sno Park 12/3/2011

caverpilot

Trip: Mt. St. Helens Skiing Dec 3, 2011 - Worm Flows via Marble Mtn Sno Park

Date: 12/3/2011

Trip Report:

On December 3rd we headed up to assess conditions on Mt. St. Helens. We were thoroughly disappointed - this is turning out to be the driest December ever recorded.

We need a Christmas MIRACLE!! Pray for Pow!!

We camped in the parking lot at the Sno Park, only realizing we didn't bring the 3-man tent at the trailhead. D'oh!! Therefore, Katt and I pounced into the 3-season tent and Nick and Ozzy slept in the back of the Outback.

Since we didn't expect to miss any "good snow" conditions, we slept in and made a lazy breakfast of pancakes (have you tried the Snoqualmie Falls pancake mix? That shit is awesome! Just add water!) and apple sausages. Yum!!

Conditions:

Although there is snow along the road and in the parking lot, it had receded considerably since last month, and was icy. We carried our skis and boards only about 100 yards until we met solid snow, and skinned up to treeline, where we snacked and pounded a couple of Fort George Vortex IPAs. Although we didn't ski the face, other skiers reported "a few" good turns high on the mountain.

I was able to ski most of the way back down the trail, until a couple of fireworks from hitting rocks reminded me I just had my skis tuned. Duh! Somehow, I always manage to forget that I need to use my rock skis until the snow is good. I suspect that with the little bit of snow we got this week, it is probably okay to ski down now.

The face is fairly bare, especially for this time of year, but skiable nonetheless. Frankly, if you're wavering on climbing vs. skiing, I'd recommend just hoofing it until we get a big dump. Come on Pow!!

My girlfriend is much better at posting trip reports than I am. Check out some awesome photos from the trip at her blog here: Mt. St. Helens December 3 2011

From treeline at sunset:

helensview.jpg

Katt, Ozzy, and paltry conditions:

nakeshelens.jpg

Gear Notes:

crampons! rock skis! (also Man-pons for swamp ass :)

Approach Notes:

skin up from close to parking lot, parking lot unplowed (wtf is my Sno Park permit for?), icy slopes

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic