Nepal question

Hey all I am moving to Kathmandu to be a student for the next 5 months. I'm on a super tight budget and wondering if I should bring my rack or ice climbing stuff? Is there good rock climbing near-ish or mountaineering that can be done cheap without renting guides etc? I do love climbing, am I mad to consider not bringing it, or, without having to dish out cash would it just sit in my room?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

does anyone know if there's good trad outside kathmandu?

I was there in '04 & all I could think of was immersing myself in the culture, sightseeing in Kathmandu, & the Himalayas of course, and how much of all that I could experience in the time I had...

I'd love to get back there someday...

d

• 3 weeks later...

Nagarjun is a cool place. There are also other places around but your main problem will be to get there and to find climbing buddies. Nepalese don't have money to do it. I spend 6 months a year there and I always pay someone to come with me. Nothing for me but helps them to survive and there are fees averywhere because they are so poor including government. If you manage to get out on the trek especially to Khumbu area there is lots of awesome routes but again you issue wiill be climbing buddy. Low budget is a problem no matter where you go especially if you looking for luxioury products and services and climbin in Nepal is luxioury for locals.

Have a great time, it is awesome coutry and great people. kathmandu is very polluted and often polution stays there for long time because there are no winds to get them out of the valley, especially in winter.

yea im thinking im going to do that as well and leave the rack at home for now

Well, the big plus in traveling light in Nepal is you don't have to worry about either paying to have your stuff held/watched, paying to get it flown in (i.e. you could bring other comfort or trekking items within your luggage limits) and/or worry about having it stolen.

BUT.

If you have a good secure base of operations..... You could bring the stuff and maybe use it and you might also be able to sell the stuff.