Winter gear reviews

mmaccaro

Hi, I'm new to the forum. I couldn't find a search tool so forgive me if there's already a post on this. I'm a long tiem hiker but just getting into winter hiking. I was looking for reviews/recommendations on mountaineering boots. I've read a lot about them, but its a bit overwhelming....leather vs plastic, what ones are insulated, integrated gators. I was hoping there would be some kind of forum sticky about gear and/or boots specifically. THanks!

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if you want winter hiking boots, then maybe the technical climbing boots that Dane reviews (cold thistle) may not fit your needs. You may need to define your objectives more. for example, you talking about tromping around the white mtns of new hampshire, going up glaciated volcanoes around here or hiking up snow covered trails around local hills?

Yes good point. Caveat Emptor. They happen to fit my feet quite well (hence my opinion).

Just out of curiosity, how do they not fit? Width? Height?

Just curious as many boots are uncomfortable to me because they are too narrow. But the Evo's fit out of the box- guess I lucked out because I didn't try them on before buying.

Just out of curiosity, how do they not fit? Width? Height?

I have not used the Nepal Evo, but have owned the Trango Extreme and the old K2s. They are just on the narrow side for my fore foot whereas Scarpas have a nice amount of wiggle room for my toes.

I have used the Nepal's and they are slightly narrow as well. I went through several mountaineering boots which all hurt my feet until I found the Scarpa Mont Blanc GTX . The Scarpa are great for a wider foot.

As said above, it all depends are what you are aiming to do. If you are going to be doing winter climbs, ice climbing, glaciers and spending lots of time in crampons, then go for a mountaineering boot and dont skimp if you can afford it.

thanks everyone for the replies. I'm going to check out Dane's blog in a few minutes. I am planning on winter hiking in the White Mountains including Mt. Washington. I'm eventually planning to do some novice to moderate ice climbing. I've been reading a lot online about mountaineering boots, but sometimes its tough to tell which ones are insulated and which are not.

In everyone's opinion. what is the average cost for a good pair of mountaineering boots?

I guess I'll go check out Dane's blog before I ask a bunch of questions he may already answer.

Thanks.

You will prolly want insulated leather climbing boots. Or invest in some insulated supergaters. Can be damn cold in the whites.

+1 on getting a boot that fits is more important than what anyone says about how great their boots are. My scarpa freneys (no longer made) and nepal extremes are great. But that is irrelevant. :)

I am planning on winter hiking in the White Mountains including Mt. Washington. I'm eventually planning to do some novice to moderate ice climbing.
Second what gene said above if this is your starting point. Leather for hiking (easier on the feet and shins than plastics/syns), and insulated for warmth (just get regular gators and make sure the boots are waterproofed - forget the overgators, IMHO). Since you're looking at moderate ice eventually, the rocker of a leather boot's sole and the flexibility of that sole shouldn't put you out too much with calf strain on moderate routes. When you graduate to more technical ice, you'll want a much stiffer sole (and rigid crampons) to lessen that fatigue. But then those boots would suck ass for hiking - picture the Frankenstein walk. For now, leathers and hinged 'pons should suit your moderate ice objectives.

I learned to ice climb in Tuckerman's and Huntington's before moving out here. There was a least one occasion I remember vividly one Christmas wherein I almost became a permanent fixture on Mt. Washington due to some seriously cold feet, and that was with supergators, too! So gene's advice is spot on. Read up, buy an insulated leather climbing boot that fits your objectives, and let us know how you're coming along after you've given it a go.

:wave:

In everyone's opinion. what is the average cost for a good pair of mountaineering boots?

PRICELESS boots are ones that fit perfectly, irrespective of price. Figure out what class of boot you want, have the boot fitter (go to an outdoor store that has someone knowledgeable) bring out every boot in that class, without looking at the price. Buy the ones that fit the best. Never buy boots without trying them on.

That said, expect to pay $200-255 for Mountaineering/Backpacking Boots, and $300-600 for Technical Mountaineering/Ice Climbing Boots. You can get a set of good waterproof leather hikers for under $200, but they prob. won't be stiff enough to any serious ice climbing. I've climbed 9,000-ft peaks in Montana with $160 boots and gaiters, and although my feet were cold, they were fine. Finally, invest in a pair of SuperFeet footbeds. They pay for themselves.