Best Oregon Rock Climbing Book?!

AOK

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ron Horton did an impressive job with Weekend Rock. It pulled from other authors' works but focuses on the "weekend" climber not pushing the 5.11 and above standards.

What you'll find is Olson and Orton are more complete with the areas they cover in comparison to Hortons piece.

The criticisms of Bolf and Ruef's falcon piece is warranted. While it pretends to offer climbing areas that other books don't offer, these additions are not adequately covered and you'll be much happier with an Olson or Orton purchase.

So Orton's climbing SW Oregon looks wonderful! I think that coupled with Weekend Warrior ought to do the trick. When I get to Bend I'll pick something up on Smith. Thanks for the advice... It was cool seeing that Orton's book is actually a collectors item. Woot!

Oregon Rock: A Climbers Guide is EVERYWHERE! Is it really THAT good!? I found it for $3-6 in multiple places.

Probably not the best guide to have if that's all you've got. It is a fun read though. Portland Rock Climbs 4th edition by Olson is the go to book for Portland area rock. Watts's Rock Climbing Smith Rock State Park is the bible for that place. Others have mentioned the best books for the rest of Oregon.

Chad

;)

hehe ya, I guess I realized I'm not some well respected hard man so who the hell would listen to me anyways, and I'm not too into online shit shows any more. I hope some of you saw my point tho and maybe some will agree with me.

i feel like i missed something? :crazy:

;)

hehe ya, I guess I realized I'm not some well respected hard man so who the hell would listen to me anyways, and I'm not too into online shit shows any more. I hope some of you saw my point tho and maybe some will agree with me.

No worries. I understand where you are coming from and can respect the fact you took it down for sure man.