Individual Recco Reflectors?

Bronco

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's one of those things that are specifically not available separately or why would you buy the $800 jacket. Be handy to have one on the keychain though. Let me know if you find a source.

Maybe find some older european gear or boots (aren't they built into some euro downhill boots?) you could get cheap and cut the reflector out?

Edit: Looks like $30 or $40 on ebay would get you something if it's worth that much to ya.

Edited by OlympicMtnBoy

Here...

http://www.mountaingear.com/pages/product/product.asp/imanf/Recco/idesc/RECCO+Reflector/Store/MG/item/640258/N/0

Is anyone aware of an actual rescue that has been credited to this system? I thought it was mainly a corpse finder.

If you are buried and have survived trauma and your companions can't immediately rescue you, it is extremely unlikey that patrol will arrive in time with Recco gear to rescue you.

Those don't seem to have been available through mountain gear for a couple years now, not sure why they are still listed.

I think the main use is for in-bounds avalanches (which DO happen) where the ski patrol is immediately on the scene with a Recco receiver to look for potential victims. I know at least some of the local resorts are equipped/trained. I'm not aware of any actual rescues but it seems like the system is getting more popular and probably wouldn't hurt (obviously never a replacement for a real beacon in the BC).

Bronco--RECCO reflectors are hard to attach reliably to boots or clothing that they arent built in to. Turns out people didn't want to stick them in their pockets... :-)

All that said, RECCO devices are a great in theory, but don't work very well in mixed avy debris, where trees, ice, rocks, poles, skis, etc., all give conflicting reflection signals. RECCO is better where you can move slowly and listen for differences in the reflections... VERY slowly.

I'm happy to pm with you about my experiences using a RECCO system in the field if you're interested, but the short version is that a transceiver, probe, and shovel are still the best safety tools in unmitigated terrain.

Thanks for the info. I was just looking to see if they were available independant of a garment so I could duct tape it in our kids boot or helmet in case they were to fall into a tree well or something when out riding with friends. It seemed like a reasonable and potentially inexpensive safty measure but aparantly not.

We do emphasize the notion of skiing with friends and looking out for each other but remember the days when I was 13 and it was always a race to the bottom. If someone didn't make it out right away, we generally assumed they must have decided to go somewhere else. She's still a few years from venturing into the back country but I guess it's time for her and her friends to take venturing "off piste" a little more seriously.