Movie night suggestions

So I've got a projector from work for a while, and have been having friends over for movie nights recently. I'd like to build a nice collection of climbing movies and other outdoor movies (mtn biking, snowboarding...). Any suggestions on some good films to watch?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The German film, 'The North Face', is really good.

x2 - brilliant special effects - it's insane how cool it looks, even though they're always on a green screen!

having to actually read subtitles might piss off the illiterate amongst ye though...

Not sure if you're looking for irony, comedy, inspiration, or instruction, but among Hollywood "movies," here are some contrasting suggestions:

"Touching the void" is based on the famous Joe Simpson book, and has great climbing footage, great performances, and a gripping story. I recommend you wear a puffy while watching it. Otherwise you'll get too cold.

"Vertical limit" makes a great drinking game. If something explodes, drink. If someone is shot, drink. If someone dynos on ice tools, finish your drink. You will pass out, laughing.

"The Eiger Sanction" is sort of a blend between the two. It combines old-school inappropriate jokes, Clint Eastwood tough guy awesomeness, and incongruously good climbing footage into one great guys-night package.

"K2" is a conventional Hollywood movie, a bit cliched but has some great climbing footage and is generally inoffensive when it comes to accuracy.

Enjoy

"K2" is a conventional Hollywood movie, a bit cliched but has some great climbing footage and is generally inoffensive when it comes to accuracy.
Except the part where the single tent peg holds the tent, with Michael Bien and the other dude inside, against being swept down the mountain in an avalanche... :rolleyes:

180 Degrees South would be good if you like this sort of thing :hcluv:. Personally, I thought it sucked.

K2 (which I happen to be watching right now) is good if you like this sort of thing :rocken::rocken::rocken: soooo extreme you should drink mountain dew while watching. :rocken:

Opinions are like assholes...

I am not really convinced there are any good climbing films, but here are a few of the bad ones!

Take it to the limit (just terrible)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0251422/

Sub zero (easily made into a drinking game)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0386060/

Cliffhanger (Adrian!!!)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0106582/

Scream of Stone (influenced by Reinhold himself!)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scream_of_Stone

Filmed locally in Darrington, but finding a copy may be hard. I haven't actually seen it, but it looks to give Vertical Limit a run for its money.

You can watch it on YouTube. It is in segments but watchable (so to speak.

I would say it is better than Vertical LImit but that could be my local prejudice.

How about the movie "Everest." About the 1982 Canadian expedition to Everest. The way Jason Preistly gets swept away by a rockalanche will have you rolling. Otherwise it's fairly well shot, except the part where they're supposed to be climbing above 20,000ft, and there is clearly a broken off tree sticking out of the snow off to the side of the frame. And of course William Shatner makes any movie better. -Josh

Edited by Peakpimp

Filmed locally in Darrington, but finding a copy may be hard. I haven't actually seen it, but it looks to give Vertical Limit a run for its money.

GAWD, I saw this POS when it first came out. I didn't start climbing until 3 or 4 years later, so none of the shit they were pulling in the film made any sense to me at the time I first saw it. After I was climbing for a while, it showed up on cable in re-runs, so me and some climbin' buddies grabbed some brews and laughed our asses off. :laf:

OMFG! I just suffered through the ~1-minute trailer to that. I am simply at a complete loss for words to describe how utterly shitty that movie must be. pukeface.gif

Yes, its a true winner! I highly recommend watching the last ~5-10 minutes to see the "climax" of the movie; a speed top roping contest on a 5.7 :noway:

Also note, the picture on the cover of the film, never actually appears in the movie itself...