• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
telemarker

Ice Boot Heel Lift

I'm getting a lot of heel slop in my boots (Scarpa Summit GTX). It doesn't matter how hard I crank on the laces. Poor fit for my foot type I'm sure, but short of throwing down a few hundred for a better fitting pair, is there any strap like those used for ski boots that would work to tighten them up a bit?

Cut an old pair of foot beds off ahead of the heel and barge cement them under the foot beds your using now. I had the same issues and this cured the problem.

I think ski boot fitter have little stick on pads than can go on the inside of the boot above the heel to provide a tighter fit in that area. Might ask at a shop if they have any of those pads for sale.

You can use a rubber wedge under your insoles to take up slop; also, the "cork" inserts called five irons--they are flat insole shaped shims that take up volume, standard boot fitting stuff. REI or a ski shop will probably give you some for free. Also, might be rather obvious but just to cover the bases, there are many thicknesses of insoles and some have a much better heel cup than others so compare them for what will work best for you.

Thanks for the ideas.

I'm curious as to why ice boots rely on laces for a not so snug fit instead of a lightweight buckle system like ski boots that don't loosen up over the course of a couple pitches.

I'm curious as to why ice boots rely on laces for a not so snug fit instead of a lightweight buckle system like ski boots that don't loosen up over the course of a couple pitches.

Not sure they could make a buckle system that's as lightweight as a set of laces. While the buckles would likely make for a more secure and stable fit, the added weight and bulk of the buckles is probably a deal-killer with the light-is-right crowd.

Not sure they could make a buckle system that's as lightweight as a set of laces. While the buckles would likely make for a more secure and stable fit, the added weight and bulk of the buckles is probably a deal-killer with the light-is-right crowd.

they tried with the lowa quantum in the 90's

images10.jpeg