Ice Boot Heel Lift

telemarker

I'm getting a lot of heel slop in my boots (Scarpa Summit GTX). It doesn't matter how hard I crank on the laces. Poor fit for my foot type I'm sure, but short of throwing down a few hundred for a better fitting pair, is there any strap like those used for ski boots that would work to tighten them up a bit?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can use a rubber wedge under your insoles to take up slop; also, the "cork" inserts called five irons--they are flat insole shaped shims that take up volume, standard boot fitting stuff. REI or a ski shop will probably give you some for free. Also, might be rather obvious but just to cover the bases, there are many thicknesses of insoles and some have a much better heel cup than others so compare them for what will work best for you.

I'm curious as to why ice boots rely on laces for a not so snug fit instead of a lightweight buckle system like ski boots that don't loosen up over the course of a couple pitches.

Not sure they could make a buckle system that's as lightweight as a set of laces. While the buckles would likely make for a more secure and stable fit, the added weight and bulk of the buckles is probably a deal-killer with the light-is-right crowd.

I'm curious as to why ice boots rely on laces for a not so snug fit instead of a lightweight buckle system like ski boots that don't loosen up over the course of a couple pitches.

Not sure they could make a buckle system that's as lightweight as a set of laces. While the buckles would likely make for a more secure and stable fit, the added weight and bulk of the buckles is probably a deal-killer with the light-is-right crowd.

they tried with the lowa quantum in the 90's

images10.jpeg