Climbing in New Mehico?? Any near Las Cruses?

TurinTheLost

So I got a job offer in Las Cruces NM and am wondering if there is any climbing in that area. Or what the rest of New Mexico has to offer.

After a while I may be able to live elsewhere outside of Las Cruses. I hear Taos is pretty damn cool.

If anyone knows anything else about Las Cruses in general I am interested...I hear it's not the greatest place.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

-Google books has the "Rock Climbing New Mexico" book available for preview online.

-Lots of craggy one pitch stuff in the greater Los Alamos area.

-Seemed like lifetimes worth of longer trad routes in the mountains just outside of Los Alamos.

-Would be worth asking the same question on Mountain Project since NM is in range for lots of folks on that board:

http://www.mountainproject.com/v/new-mexico/105708964

-Also might be worth sending a PM to SkyKilo since he was stationed in the Los Alamos area while working on his Flux Capacitor.

Hi

I really like life in Northern New Mexico. I haven't been to Las Cruces but it looks like there should be good granite trad climbing in the Organ Mountains, very close. It probably gets hot down there in the summer but should be really good for winter climbing.

New Mexico is different and interesting. The Sandias (Albuquerque) are full of adventure climbs.

It seems like there is good cragging all over the state.

All of the climbs close to Los Alamos are short, JayB, but the quality is excellent. The Sandias and Questa Dome are both good for longer routes nearby.

Edited by skykilo

• 3 weeks later...

I lived in Las Cruces for 12 years. Yes, there is lots of climbing. The Organs are wild and have long approaches, few climbers. Hueco Tanks, although largely neutered by the Texas Historical Society still has bouldering and some rope routes. Last time I was there, we had the rope climbing to ourselves. There is some climbing in the Dona Anas, closer than the Organs, also North of town there is climbing in Hillsboro and even farther, Socorro. Also outside Alamagordo. So, yes, there is LOTS of climbing.

Susan