Yocum (not for posers)

Going up?

I have a question for anybody who has climbed Yocum Ridge. If you have not climbed and at least rapped off the 3rd gendarm then please DO NOT comment. I do not need your "speculations" or "best guess" i want reliable information from someone who is not a poser. Now for the question...

Can you rap off with a single 60m? I know that is not what is recomended but i want to know if it is possible. If you used judicisous down climbing or if you could place another anchor.

Thank you in advance

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never climbed Yocum but from my poser armchair here it seems like you'd need 29 70m ropes, tied together with tricky knots designed to irritate you, to siege the entire ridge to the summit so rappels are not needed from the Third Gendarme. Does that answer your question?

I have a question for anybody who has climbed Yocum Ridge. If you have not climbed and at least rapped off the 3rd gendarm then please DO NOT comment. I do not need your "speculations" or "best guess" i want reliable information from someone who is not a poser. Now for the question..

A little demanding aren't we? I wasn't aware that you own the internet, this board or this thread. You kind of get what you pay for.

I guess you must have taken a big dump this morning, sniffed the air, and said " by god, my shit really doesn't stink".

I have a question for anybody who has climbed Yocum Ridge. If you have not climbed and at least rapped off the 3rd gendarm then please DO NOT comment. I do not need your "speculations" or "best guess" i want reliable information from someone who is not a poser. Now for the question...

Can you rap off with a single 60m? I know that is not what is recomended but i want to know if it is possible. If you used judicisous down climbing or if you could place another anchor.

Thank you in advance

Only a poseur would ask this question......your not welcome in advance.

Thank you in advance

Never climbed Yokum, but I have climbed a route nearby.

From my expert opinion you need the following for a safe ascent

Spot Locator

[img:center]http://www.yournextgift.com/images/2009/02/Spot_GPS.jpg[/img]

Sat Phone

[img:center]http://globalcellularrental.com/assets/img/content/sat-world1.gif[/img]

Wingsuit

[img:center]http://www.decouvertesmag.com/images/stories/AILLEURS/WINGSUIT%20JUMPING.JPG[/img]

French Chef

[img:center]http://www.colourbox.com/preview/1777434-547884-smiling-french-chef-holding-steaming-tray-of-food.jpg[/img]

Mountain Dog

[img:center]http://dogsonthenet.com/NGDogs/Bernese.jpg[/img]

Ropes are optional

Hello Im a poser and I didnt even know what mountain Yocum ridge was on but when I googled it this TR came up. Maybe it can help you find what your looking for???

From the second to third gendarme is a little break for the mind. A wide ridge (fifteen feet) leads to the peak of the third gendarme. We reach the top of the pinnacle. From here there are two choices. One may drop off to the west and continue along about a quarter mile of knife edge ridge or drop off to the north and climb steep snowfields to regain the ridge at the base of the upper buttress. We do not like the look of the rime on the knife ridge so we decide to drop off to the north. This requires a rappel of fifty meters down the sheer north side of the ridge landing on sixty five degree snow slopes of questionable stability. We opt for the rappel. The top of the gendarme is only about two feet wide and we start to excavate the snow and ice in search of good rock for our anchor. The spire the guide book spoke of is long gone, which is no surprise when we discover the condition of the rock under the snow and ice. After two hours of digging and testing rock all we accomplish is the realization that the rock of the third gendarme is nothing but a pile of ruble glued together with snow and ice. Every time we find a rock that we think will do we break it free with the slightest of force. Judah swears he feels the entire spire shudder in a gust of wind. We decide our best option is to place my three foot snow picket in the snow and rime just on the south side of the spire. We finish setting the picket and my shovel is lying flat and careless on the eastern slope. Judah takes a step down a little too close to the shovel and knocks it loose. It starts to slide and after about twenty feet disappears down a chute on the north side and we both know it is gone. We never see it again. Judah feels bad but there is nothing to be done but continue. Judah takes the rappel first and prays for the picket to hold. It does and I follow him down. The rappel is over one-hundred-fifty feet with some free sections over cliffs. We are glad to be off the third gendarme. Relative relief!