lightweight approach shoe ideas?

layton

it would be nice to have or make a pair of really light low volume sticky rubber approach shoes.

ideas?

I can get a pair resoled with 5.10 sticky dot rubber for $45. Any ideas for a light, low volume shoe I could resole?

There are a lot of routes out there that you need a shoe, but the hike off is fairly mellow (black canyon & red-rocks come to mind) but flip flops are a bit too chincy.

I was thinking those new merrel "barefoot" shoes, but they are kinda pricey. Any out of the box ideas? Karate slipper? Aquasock?

Ankle support, cushioning are not important. Sticky sole, protection from cutting up the foot, weight, low volume, and a resolable bottom are the only requirements.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've used those Solomon amphibian type shoes with some success (in Red Rocks a couple times actually for stuff like Epinephrine). They are kind of like a mesh tennis shoe which doesn't protect the foot from catcti but keeps the rocks out and keeps me from banging my toes like with sandals/flip flops. They are pretty light and pack almost flat which was an issue for me as I hate to clip shoes to my harness and don't want my pack too bulging full.

The plastic soles on those would be much improved with sticky rubber but I'm not sure you can resole that type of super light shoe easily.

Five Ten Descents. Not much too them, very basic and super light. Therefore not much support or cushioning at all. Super sticky rubber.

Good seeing ya at RR Mike. How was Ginger Cracks?

JL

I caved in under pressure and took Britne up Olive Oil. To make it fair though, I did it in one pitch "britne, do you mind simuling a little bit" "ok, but just a little"

Would any running shoe work for you? They typically weight 8-11oz per shoe and give a fair amount of support. The climbing in them is not fantastic.... but I have hopped many boulders in mine. Trail approaches are easy and even with a pack packed for a few days I have never had any issues.

problem with running shoes is they are high volume, generally.

I've used my vibram 5 fingers. they would be perfect, except they grip like shit. I've used them in the black canyon a few times, and was slightly sketched motoring down the gullies or climbing the "3rd class". I actually talked to a vibram rep and said they should make an approach version. He said they were plenty sticky. I said he was wrong. Then the conversation ended.

i'll just keep my eye out next time I'm at the dollar store or wally world.no tab in back can be solved by tying the laces.

otherwise, if I'm feeling spendy, I'll check out the Merrell Barefoot shoes and resole them with sticky dot.

Anyone out there miss the Dragonfly approach shoe?

duders, not jogging shoes, running shoes as in racing shoes...you can find them cheap if you look around...google barefoot racing or minimal racing shoe or something...look at how awesome the colors are!

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11999147&010=11095495&cid=CSE:&cid=CSE:GooglePlusbox&003=3933188

i miss the dragonfly and the other dragon one even though i don't think they had anything to do with each other...

The patagonia thatcher was perfect (stiff sole but folded flat) but wasn't that durable and got discontinued. I'd probably try the five ten daescentes or guide tennies (now in a vegan version that might be better for the desert) plus some seem grip over the threads and save yourself a resole.

duders, not jogging shoes, running shoes as in racing shoes...you can find them cheap if you look around...google barefoot racing or minimal racing shoe or something...look at how awesome the colors are!

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11999147&010=11095495&cid=CSE:&cid=CSE:GooglePlusbox&003=3933188

i miss the dragonfly and the other dragon one even though i don't think they had anything to do with each other...

yeah, that's what I was thinking about. too hard to find on the interwebs. i'll just keep my eyes peeled.

maybe it was the superfly, not the dragonfly. whatever it was called it was red and the shit.