A date that will live in infamy...

sobo

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Why, yes you can. A friend, and very strong cyclist, hit a car, flipped over the hood, grabbed his newly fucked up bike, and kept riding till the cops chased him down. It took them a while, apparently. I've seen him riding town. The guy is FAST.

Wrong! :)

Sure, you can get in trouble for hit and run, or running a red light, etc. but NOT for riding a bike drunk. Trust me, I've looked into it ;)

They can offer you a ride home, but you can refuse. They can impound your bike (if you're a threat to yourself) but can't charge you to get it back.

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=46.61.790

RCW 46.61.790

Intoxicated bicyclists.

(1) A law enforcement officer may offer to transport a bicycle rider who appears to be under the influence of alcohol or any drug and who is walking or moving along or within the right-of-way of a public roadway, unless the bicycle rider is to be taken into protective custody under RCW 70.96A.120. The law enforcement officer offering to transport an intoxicated bicycle rider under this section shall:

(a) Transport the intoxicated bicycle rider to a safe place; or

(b) Release the intoxicated bicycle rider to a competent person.

(2) The law enforcement officer shall not provide the assistance offered if the bicycle rider refuses to accept it. No suit or action may be commenced or prosecuted against the law enforcement officer, law enforcement agency, the state of Washington, or any political subdivision of the state for any act resulting from the refusal of the bicycle rider to accept this assistance.

(3) The law enforcement officer may impound the bicycle operated by an intoxicated bicycle rider if the officer determines that impoundment is necessary to reduce a threat to public safety, and there are no reasonable alternatives to impoundment. The bicyclist will be given a written notice of when and where the impounded bicycle may be reclaimed. The bicycle may be reclaimed by the bicycle rider when the bicycle rider no longer appears to be intoxicated, or by an individual who can establish ownership of the bicycle. The bicycle must be returned without payment of a fee. If the bicycle is not reclaimed within thirty days, it will be subject to sale or disposal consistent with agency procedures.

[2000 c 85 § 4.]

Edited by rob

Why, yes you can.
In that case, I believe I made the prudent choice, substituting the Rose's for a trip to the store for more lemons.

Of course, public intoxication laws still apply, so you can't be stumbling drunk or anything, but that's true even for walking.
Well, even if the answer is "no, they can't arrest you", this clause leads me to conclude I still made the prudent choice. :)

Why, yes you can. A friend, and very strong cyclist, hit a car, flipped over the hood, grabbed his newly fucked up bike, and kept riding till the cops chased him down. It took them a while, apparently. I've seen him riding town. The guy is FAST.

Sure, you can get in trouble for hit and run, or running a red light, etc. but NOT for riding a bike drunk. Trust me, I've looked into it ;)

They can offer you a ride home, but you can refuse. They can impound your bike (if you're a threat to yourself) but can't charge you to get it back.

RCW 46.61.790

Intoxicated bicyclists.

(1) A law enforcement officer may offer to transport a bicycle rider who appears to be under the influence of alcohol or any drug and who is walking or moving along or within the right-of-way of a public roadway, unless the bicycle rider is to be taken into protective custody under RCW 70.96A.120. The law enforcement officer offering to transport an intoxicated bicycle rider under this section shall:

(2) The law enforcement officer shall not provide the assistance offered if the bicycle rider refuses to accept it. No suit or action may be commenced or prosecuted against the law enforcement officer, law enforcement agency, the state of Washington, or any political subdivision of the state for any act resulting from the refusal of the bicycle rider to accept this assistance.

(3) The law enforcement officer may impound the bicycle operated by an intoxicated bicycle rider if the officer determines that impoundment is necessary to reduce a threat to public safety, and there are no reasonable alternatives to impoundment. The bicyclist will be given a written notice of when and where the impounded bicycle may be reclaimed. The bicycle may be reclaimed by the bicycle rider when the bicycle rider no longer appears to be intoxicated, or by an individual who can establish ownership of the bicycle. The bicycle must be returned without payment of a fee. If the bicycle is not reclaimed within thirty days, it will be subject to sale or disposal consistent with agency procedures.

[2000 c 85 § 4.]

Oh, yeah? Well...my SHITS ARE BIGGER THAN YOU.

still....i should be able to walk into any sushi restaraunt on earth today, show my passport, and demand free tuna rolls :)

i'm willing to accord them boys the same at mickey-d's on aug 6 n' 9th :)

Several years ago I was in Hiroshima on business. I woke up early to go for a run. I ended up running through the Peace Park and saw the dome there. As I was running back towards the hotel it seemed like everybody I saw was of an age that they could have been there when the bob was dropped. Damn I felt self conscious about that. There were some older generation Japanese I dealt with at that time who still held a grudge over the war. Time doesn't heal all wounds, but for the most part you won't find a place that loves Americans more than Japan.

RCW 46.61.790

Intoxicated bicyclists.

[2000 c 85 § 4.]

Oh, yeah? Well...my SHITS ARE BIGGER THAN YOU.

Yeah, well, ask me why I'm such on expert on this particular law. :/

It's only hard to get started. Once you're rolling though, the gyroscope takes over.