Big Wall Climber Mark Smith in Portland 12/12/11

elaine

The flier for this was given to me at the Madrone Wall Fire Mgmt Plan meeting tonight.

All proceeds benefit the Mountain Leadership Institute, a non profit.

Tickets are $10 cash at the door or online at mountainleadershipinstitute.com

Location: The Kravet Building 1640 NW Irving Street PDX 97209 -3 blocks west of the Pearl REI

Big Wall Climber Mark Smith Presents: Wings of Steel, the most controversial and quite possibly the hardest aid route on El Cap.

The Story: Mark Smith presents a slideshow of his route, Wings of Steel, on El Cap. Journey back to 1982 and experience sabotage, starvation, and slander as they put up arguably the hardest aid route on El Cap. The climb, trashed by locals as being a "bolt ladder" proved to be harder then their critics' tough language. Countless attempts buy some of the best aid climbers in the world ultimately vindicated Smith and his climbing partner, Richard Jensen.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had the pleasure of befriending Mark Smith over the last year and a half. It is an amazing story he has to tell of this climb. I'm looking forward to hearing it presented. Also it should be noted that almost every time Mark and I have a conversation I am laughing at some point. The guy is a riot.