Ourey

MrGecko

Not going to the ice festival but would like to find some info regarding getting to Ourey and staying there.

Anyone have any recommendations how to get from Montrose to Ourey? Looking at options besides renting a car.

Where did you stay when there and how reasonable were the rates? Any recommendations would surely be appreciated.

Thx

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

The Ouray Comfort Inn was offering a free shuttle service from the Montrose airport. This is a great deal if still available, plus a decent continental breakfast, and super close proximity to the ice park. The owners are great and the rates even better if you have an icepark membership.

This will be my third year at Ouray and I've sorta gone every which way to get there...

I'll be heading to the festival this year and staying late for more Ice.

Anyhoo, I'm sort of obsessed with Ouray - till I go visit Hyalite so I've got lots of input:

Seattle -> Salt Lake -> Grand Junction -> Drive to Ouray.

So I went this way the first year because I hastily scheduled my visit there. This wasn't HORRIBLE, but it did take a whole day to get there - and the car rental (I rented a 4x4) was $400. So, it turned out pretty expensive.

Seattle -> Denver -> Montrose -> Shuttle

This is the best way, IMHO if you don't need a car at all.

Usually, this will involve United Airlines for the cheapest price and the most available flights.

BEST SHUTTLE: http://www.tellurideexpress.com/

These are cheap and will drop & pickup anywhere. All the other options I found too expensive. You could probably even get the driver to stop at a store in Montrose or Ridgway to do some cheaper grocery shopping. Ouray is an easy town (think Leavenworth) to walk around in so unless you're deciding to go somewhere else, you should be able to get to everything on foot - including the climbing.

For my first two stays, I stayed at the Chalet Inn. There's lots of options in Ouray for stay - watch out for the festival, things fill up - and various prices. This year I'm staying in a condo for 10 days - with a kitchen.

BIGGEST ADVICE: Join the Park ($35). You get so many discounts for being a member, this is a no brainer. If you mix a park membership with lodging discounts, this can save you a ton. My hotel price at Chalet was $55/night.

Finally, here's my list of favorite haunts in town:

- O'Brien's Pub, great food/beer

- Ouray Brewery, great food/beer

- Back Street Bistro (home of San Juan Mt. Guides) - Great breakfast/coffee

- Buen Tiempo Mexican - great mexican food

- Mouse's Chocolate - the only great place for dessert

Best Outdoor Services:

- Ouray Mountain Sports (ouraysports.com)

- San Juan Mountain Guides (www.ourayclimbing.com)

- Ouray Ice Park (ourayicepark.com)

Best climbing outside the park, but close to town:

- Camp Bird Road (http://www.summitpost.org/ouray-colorado-camp-bird-road/168218)

Lots of multi-pitch routes WI4-5, various mixed, easy approach (needs a 4x4 though)

Let me know if you have any more questions about Ouray - I'll be there Jan 4-14.

Cale