[TR] Chilcotin/Tsi'los Park - Tchaikazan-Yohetta Loop 8/20/2011

G-spotter

Trip: Chilcotin/Tsi'los Park - Tchaikazan-Yohetta Loop

Date: 8/20/2011

Trip Report:

So my wife likes to do these big week-long hikes every year with her friends and I was dragged along this year since we were heading to the Tchaikazan which has some mountains and stuff. Actually, some damn fine mountains. But anyways.

We drove up to Williams Lake onwards to Hanceville, and down past the Nemiah Valley on the 20th and spent the evening setting up the cars, one at the mouth of the Yohetta where we planned to come out, and the other at the Tchaikazan trailhead.

cc15.jpg

Looking upstream from camp.

The next day the clouds came in and we hiked c. 10km up the valley in occasional rain to a campsite next to the outfitter's cabin, 1km east of Spectrum Creek. The trail was mostly in good shape.

6142819362_de7b6d7cf8_z.jpg

Rufous Mtn north face from the trail.

cc200.jpg

Heading up the gravel flats with rain coming over the Rhino.

We spent the whole next day camped at the outfitter's cabin in pouring rain. Debris flows and floods were coming down some of the creeks and the main Tchaikazan rose by a foot or so. We found a hunter's cache over near Spectrum Creek that had been destroyed by grizzlies and salvaged an uneaten tarp and intact can of propane which fitted the stove in the cabin and enabled us to brew a bunch of hot drinks without worrying about running out of gas. The tarp was strung up to replace the ratty one at the cabin and kept us semi-dry next to a smoky fire.

cc202.jpg

Flooding in the forest.

cc203.jpg

When stuck in the cabin, making pizza from dehydrated ingredients is always a good way to pass the time.

The next day, the clouds were breaking. A big grizzly walked by the cabin on the other side of the river at dawn.

6197035942_8ab246646e_z.jpg

Fresh snow on the Rhino

6126150018_8a0a8077ea_z.jpg

Very large bear on the other side of the river.

We packed up, left the cabin and climbed the trail to where it petered out in the meadows below Spectrum Pass. Great views, good weather, lots of flowers. Very nice hiking overall.

6096757028_ca1a6cc0ef_z.jpg

View up the Tchaikazan to the glaciers.

6316328971_56b757b7ee_z.jpg

Hiking in the meadows.

6094237546_c59510720e_z.jpg

Nearing the pass.

6099723085_76481a1fc1_z.jpg

Buck-toothed local.

We spent the next day and a half in and near the pass, lounging in the meadows and checking out the views. Pretty nice place overall. The people I was with had weird scheduling ideas that prevented me from just taking off and bagging a peak, in that I had to help move camp in the middle of the frickin' day. But the peaks around the pass are mostly chosspiles anyway.

6096214967_052559cce7_z.jpg

Camp below the Rhino.

6209382783_97aed2f138_z.jpg

Spectrum Peak

6110429609_822a1ce564_z.jpg

Our high point, on a pinnacle overlooking Chilko Lake, from the ridge NW of Spectrum Pass

The morning of Day 5 we broke camp and descended into the Yohetta side of things We spent all day hiking down the creek towards Mt Goddard and Dorothy Lake. The going gradually got more annoying as we came into a beetle-kill zone. At the end of a 16km day we set up camp next to the lake and thought the toughest going was over.

cc204.jpg

Marmot skull

prayer_flags.jpg

Prayer flags

cc205.jpg

Heading out

cc206.jpg

Wet crossing

The next two days were godawful slogs, moving at 1km/hr through tortuous beetlekill. The view of Mt Goddard was pretty cool, though, it reminded me a lot of Hozameen. There was also a nice interlude on the last day through some birch forest after we climbed high up the hillside to get around a crappy burned area with thick second growth and lots of downed snags. There were fish in the Yohetta Lakes but we didn't catch any of them.

ccgodd.jpg

Goddard east face

ccscrawl.jpg

Pine beetle circuit diagram in dead tree

cc207.jpg

Looking back to the Chilko Lake mts.

cc208.jpg

Yohetta Lake

ccbeech.jpg

Aspen grove hiking.

We made it out to the cars and beer by the afternoon of Day 7. Saw a big lynx while car-shuttling, and a couple of bears. We camped near the trailhead at Tuzcha Lake that night, had a swim, dressed up in clean clothes and the like. The next morning we went into Nemiah for gas (super cheap, everyone gets the status discount) and drove home.

6194251844_81b80f587d_z.jpg

Tuzcha in the morning.

Anyways, overall I would have liked to do more peak bagging but it was a good time and a fun part of the province to visit.I hope to go back in the next few years to climb some of the big peaks around the head of the Tchaikazan River. Lots of good routes to do in there for sure.

Gear Notes:

Hiking poles. Chainsaw if you've got one, for all the deadfall :(

Approach Notes:

Drive to Hanceville and then south as far as you can get. 4wd useful.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic