• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by chucK:

Originally posted by JayB:

What's "over the rainbow"? You must know all the names of the holds after three months. Just to which "right" of the main wall? (i.e "right" from which direction)

More information than you ever wanted....

It's to the right of the main wall if you are facing the structure from the parking lot, e.g. on the backside of the portion of the structure with the roof on it. The route begins at the extreme left side with a hold that's about 3 feet below the top, then follows an ascending arc of holds (all of the uppermost holds) up and to the right, ending with the only decent handhold on the upper right side of the wall. The move to the last hold is the crux and definitely the hardest move within the problem. If you've got the old book of problems it's rated "Very Hard". Give it a try next time you're down there, I'd be interested in hearing what someone else thinks of it.

what if we were to immortalize scott'teryx in daily language!

we could say "yeah, i pulled a scot'teryx" to mean "i left my buddy on the trail where he probably got eaten by an older woman" or we could say "looks like this one's for summitpost" to mean, i dunno, something else.

I think making fun of the whole cougar incident can be funny. I also think it is sort of a were not laughing at him were laughing with him, he probably fells pretty dump about that. Other times when people make fun of him is not cool.

Scott does have a decent site but so does Chuck and i don't see Chuck asking for money. (only beer and thats cool)

There is a guide to climbing at the UW rock. can i buy it somewhere. Is it published online? (maybe i'll donate money to that site)

I think this whole pay to read anothers trip reports sets a shity precident for other sites, even the web in general. For me it is more of a time killing while I am at my job to read peoples trip reports, then it is getting detailed info on routes. It also seems more like "just another personal web page" probably started for fun. I have friends who do this. Shit, it is all over the web. Thousands upon thousands of sites (mostly meaningless crap) that people are spending there so called "precious time and rescources". I think that is rediculous to say $800/month on photography and imaging when he is simply snapping pictures while on his climbs.

It would be more resonable for me to buy a Beckey Guide, or others. I don't know scott, never bashed him, never experienced the muir on saturday thread, but I think it is shitty now that it is becoming somewhat of a drag to run his site he thinks people should pay to see his photos and read his trip reports. The Seattle Times website is free. Seems a lot more resources are going into something like a news site. You want money, write a book scott and pals!

So, intrigued by this thread, I checked out nwog.org. There's little in its content to justify the "guide" in the title. As the creator of www.iceclimb.com, I feel entitled to comment about online climbing guides. If you're doing it for money, you're a fool. The only time I've seen climbers lay down any respectable amount of cash was for their own gear, travel expenses, and beer.

[ 10-31-2002, 07:02 PM: Message edited by: freeclimb9 ]

Call me naive, but this is the first call for money I've actually experienced on the web. Oh ya, the regulars always offer to pony up if the webmasters ask, but I've never heard a webmaster actually ask. So, say what you want about Scott, good guy, bad guy, goof ball, whatever, but Scott, you're the only one I've heard of actually panhandling for your site. [Frown]

quote:

Originally posted by trask:

Call me naive, but this is the first call for money I've actually experienced on the web. Oh ya, the regulars always offer to pony up if the webmasters ask, but I've never heard a webmaster actually ask. So, say what you want about Scott, good guy, bad guy, goof ball, whatever, but Scott, you're the only one I've heard of actually panhandling for your site.
[Frown]

I've seen a number that ask for donations, Canyoneeringusa comes to mind at the top of the list.

Most of the sites don't even attempt to cover things like their labor at market rates [laf] - they just try to cover domain reg & server costs.

quote:

Originally posted by eric8:

There is a guide to climbing at the UW rock. can i buy it somewhere. Is it published online? (maybe i'll donate money to that site)

I picked up a guide at the UW bookstore in 96 or 97 when I was going to school there, but I don't think that it's part of the regular selection there.

Jeff Smoot has a book on his site called "Pumping Concrete: A Guide to Seattle Area Climbing Walls" or something like that on his site (wwww.climbingwashington.com)for $10 or so. I suspect it's got many of the same problems listed in the old guide.

quote:

Originally posted by trask:

Call me naive, but this is the first call for money I've actually experienced on the web. Oh ya, the regulars always offer to pony up if the webmasters ask, but I've never heard a webmaster actually ask. So, say what you want about Scott, good guy, bad guy, goof ball, whatever, but Scott, you're the only one I've heard of actually panhandling for your site.
[Frown]

I totally agree with Trask. Sorry Matt and JB, but Scott constantly sets himself up for abuse. I don't hate Scott, but I do laugh at him quite a bit.

What a bunch of wankers! I am sure you blowhards who like messing with Scott so much are barely able to climb a rock pitch harder than him and all the time talk as if you are something special. In a couple years you'll be begging him to be your rope gun!

As far as his site asking for funds doesn’t frequent poster Cascadeclimber's site Mtn Community .org ask for something similar? Doesn't RC.com? You guys are ignoring the facts to get a cheap shot in at Scott. I am sure Scott set up his site imagining it to become more than it has. The request for funds page has been up for as long as I can remember with virtually no updates. It is clearly not a big part of the sight. I have looked up trips on his site and not ethat after his Observation Rock TR a lot of CC.comers made that climb their goal.

Iceclimb.com site at least for Washington is definitely a great resource - it simply lists a bunch of place name.(?!?!?!)

True Scott's site is limited to his own adventures but think about what a Frankenstein blend of CC.com and NWOG.org would be like. CC.com's BB combined with a series of TRs in the NWOG style and short clips would be the BEST bloody site on the web. How great would it be if Scott helped to create the non-BB part of this site!

Jon, Scott and Timmy!

Jon, Scott and Timmy!

Affectionately yours,

PP

What a bunch of wankers! I am sure you blowhards who like messing with Scott so much are barely able to climb a rock pitch harder than him and all the time talk as if you are something special. In a couple years you'll be begging him to be your rope gun!

Who cares if I did ro did not really climb any harder?.. it's not the point. Just because someone can scale a rock or something better than me does not make him or her not open to criticism. You don't see other people asking for money because they are too lazy to get out and find a job. I don't beg people to be a ropegun. I only climb with people I can get along with.

As far as his site asking for funds doesn’t frequent poster Cascadeclimber's site Mtn Community .org ask for something similar? Doesn't RC.com? You guys are ignoring the facts to get a cheap shot in at Scott. I am sure Scott set up his site imagining it to become more than it has. The request for funds page has been up for as long as I can remember with virtually no updates. It is clearly not a big part of the sight. I have looked up trips on his site and not ethat after his Observation Rock TR a lot of CC.comers made that climb their goal.

I climbed the O Rock and knew about it before he posted his photos. It's not like he discovered it. There are plenty other sites not asking for money. I wont bother to name them since it's not necessary... I am not ignoring facts to get a cheap shot. Scott comes on line with his own hint of arrogance and disdain for people here blatantly and sometimes unsolicited.

True Scott's site is limited to his own adventures but think about what a Frankenstein blend of CC.com and NWOG.org would be like. CC.com's BB combined with a series of TRs in the NWOG style and short clips would be the BEST bloody site on the web. How great would it be if Scott helped to create the non-BB part of this site!

This would make me puke. I dont want to hear about anyone getting hape while climbing mt si.

[ 11-01-2002, 10:20 AM: Message edited by: Cpt.Caveman ]

turthfully....i do not think scott posts any more arrogant then many posters here.....the matter of fact...he prolly is one of the less aggressvive types here and from what i have read....everyone seems to hate him for no real reason.....

i would ike people whom think they hate scott....to post the exact reason...the exact incident......then maybe we can really see why he is hated......

i would say it might be a bit much to ask for money, especially when there is little to no interaction from the public....but i have not checked it so....i am only making conjecture.....

other sites tha have lots of public interaction do ask for money....cc.com, rc.com and a host of other similar types of bbs do ask for contributions, maybe ever search out for some advertising to help offset costs.....is this a bad thing??? where would you all be without cc.com or other similar resources....prolly scoring well on your company personal reviews....

this shit is singling out a person for repeated abuse is long been played out....and really it fucking sucks....i doubt any person really cares if you hate someone.....i have yet to see a post asking "who do you hate???"(if one shows up it will be deleted)

scott, dan, allison i would say are better people then the people attacking them day in and day out.......

give it a rest....

[ 11-01-2002, 10:36 AM: Message edited by: erik ]