mikeadam

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"Imaging and Photography 20 hrs/month $800*

Web Design 40 hrs/month $2,400*"

ha! i can understand that if you provide large, forum-driven site, hosting can get expensive...

but asking people to pay you to manipulate photos and design your own web site? [laf][laf][laf]

$15 dollars a month. that's all it costs to run that site. shit, i spend more than than on beer every couple weeks, and i'm unemployed! [laf][laf]

I have had a few unintended laughs reading that site Lammy. I wouldnt compare it to Alpinelite.com [big Drink] or a good site like that but i did glean the odd tidbit of useful info from it. For instance it is the only place I have heard mention of this Sherwood Forest crag in the Icicle. Anybody else got beta on dat?

quote:

Originally posted by Lambone:

is the lamest climbing resource I have every seen. Each lame ass trip report is so skewed by scot'shouldbewearinNorthFace's gaper perception of the real world that it just makes me turn away in disgust.

I agree. What a poser. I'd never give that guy a penny. Just because he writes a story and takes his digital camera on every trip doesn't mean he should get any money. [Roll Eyes] Plenty of people offer beta and good information for free.

-

I agree with OW climer (except for the part about $15/every few weeks for Beer! Watta lightweight [Razz][laf][big Drink][big Drink] .

But Scotty's West Ridge movie is awesome!! Check it out if you got a connekshum that can handle 21 MB.

[ 10-31-2002, 01:11 PM: Message edited by: chucK ]

quote:

Originally posted by chucK:

Scotty's West Ridge movie is
awesome
!!

And check this out too!!! A picture of a public restroom!!! C'mon people pony up!! You know it's gotta cost a lot to buy all the film and developing costs for the digital camera!

-

(At the least he coulda put up a picture that shows where the misleading turnoff really is!)

I'm not trying to scold anyone or take issue with anyone's post in particular here, but I think that in general abusing Scott has become sort of a bandwagon phenomenon on this site, and as such he's been hit with a lot more flack than he deserves. That's not to say he hasn't had a regrattable post or two, but that certainly is true of just about everyone who posts here often enough, so I'm not sure why he's been singled out the way he has. I've actually been pretty impressed by the fact that he's been able to take it on the chin and keep posting, and add some self-effacing humor along the way.

I haven't checked out his site very often, and am not sure I'd go about raising funds for a such project in the same fashion, but I respect the time and effort he's taken to put it up and share it with everyone on the net. Moreover, I suspect that most of the climbing public have a skill level that's pretty close to Scott's (and my own), and would perceive the routes he's covered in much the same way that he presents them. If I were to jot down my honest recollections of the way I felt on certain portions Dreamer, Online, Outerspace and even some pretty mild sport routes I had the chance to climb I'm sure that the result would be pretty laughable to the folks who routinely cruise up routes like that on their mellow days. I'm certainly inspired when I read about 2 hours ascents of routes that it took me all day to get up, but I can also appreciate it when someone shares a perspective that's a bit closer to home.

So Scott, if you're reading this - I've enjoyed the recent TR's and photos that you've added to the site and hope that you'll keep at it.

[ 10-31-2002, 01:56 PM: Message edited by: JayB ]

quote:

Originally posted by chucK:

Put your money where your mouth is JayB. Send him some cash.

chucK:

Due to the limitations of the medium, It's hard to tell what your tone was on that last one, but you seem like a good guy, even though we seem to be at odds over stuff quite a bit on this board.

While my point on that last post wasn't to be a cheerleader for Scott's fundraising efforts, I can certainly understand where you are coming from if you were saying "Put up or shut up." I try to do just that, and if the guys who ran this site asked for contributions I'd like to think that I'd be among the first to send a check their way, as I could hardly claim that I don't use this site much. I haven't gotten around to using Scott's site much, but if I do I'll certainly contribute.

I do like to think that I do as good a job as the next guy when it comes to "putting my money where my mouth is" though. I've tried to pitch in with time or money whenever I could since moving back here, and will continue to do so as my supply of time and money permit. I helped out on a project to replace some bolts at and do some trail work at Static Point not too long ago, and sent 40 stainless hangers and a rap station to the fellow who was organizing the retrofix at Vantage this spring. I'm looking forward to making more contributions as my supply of time and money will allow.

On an unrelated and gaper-worthy note, I finally did "Over the Rainbow" with no rocks for feet on the east-facing block just to the right of the main wall at UW last nigh after 3-months of effort. Woohoo! If only there was someone there with a digital camera.....

quote:

Originally posted by JayB:

On an unrelated and gaper-worthy note, I finally did "Over the Rainbow" with no rocks for feet on the east-facing block just to the right of the main wall at UW last nigh after 3-months of effort. Woohoo! If only there was someone there with a digital camera.....

Congratulations. That must have felt good.

What's "over the rainbow"? You must know all the names of the holds after three months. Just to which "right" of the main wall? (i.e "right" from which direction)

I'm with JayB about the Scott-bashing. He may have made himself a target in the Muir on Saturday thread, and I agree that it is a little presumptive for him to think that somebody but perhaps a friend of his might want to sponsor his hobby website, and he himself has periodically come out and said it is cool with him if everybody laughs at him, but I still find it rather sad to see that so many cc.com posters seem to lack the imagination to think up something else to joke about. Scott has put a lot of work into his site, obviously, and he's also shown a great deal of real courage in showing up on this bulletin board from time to time. It's too bad he didn't make it down to Bridge Creek campground for the rope up, but I can't say as I blame him for not wanting to hang out with a bunch of drunk guys that are sure to do nothing but make fun of him.