Don't hurt yourself. if you do self rescue

keenwesh

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the Snowies, between Laramie and Saratoga, Wyoming. If you've ever epiced on I-80 between Rawlins and Laramie, Wyoming (elk mountain hell road) then you were just North of this hidden gem of a range. They close the road up there in the winter and it turns into a snowmobiler paradise, but there is a lot of great stuff up there. The wind is insane all winter though.

Edited by sitandbefit

The only reason I can post this is because I traded my Wyoming license plates for Montana ones yesterday. If I would have said anything while I still lived down there, the 18 local climbers would be at the house with pitchforks and torches by midnight. Now I have to refuse to say anything about the Beartooths.

Reposted from Dane's blog comments:

This video is covered in detail and analysed by Will Gadd on his blog. It also includes a very lengthy response to the discussion by Ed Warren, the injured climber. Very worth reading and going through the comments, as well as Ed's response

Link to Will Gadd's analysis:

http://willgadd.com/?p=600

Link to Response by Ed on Will Gad's blog:

http://willgadd.com/?p=621

remarkable video - interesting discussion. I thought Gadd's comments appropriate -- once the brown hit the fan, these guys did enough things right. regarding the discussion of simulclimbing - from what Ed says, sounds like they didn't have much choice. if the anchor aint there, ya play the hand yer dealt. I rarely find good reason to simulclimb, but when I do, I shorten the rope to no more than 15-20 meters - way easier to keep track of one another, keep slack out of the rope, and still have enough space to have at least two points of protection between climbers. It sounds like these two didn't have that option. Been there, done that, got the titanium in both ankles. They did a helluva job - hard to believe they kept filming after the brown hit the fan. Not me...