Winter Boots Recommendations

KaskadskyjKozak

I'm looking to buy warmer boots than my heavier boots (Scarpa Freney) as they get colder than I'd like for overnighters with temps well below freezing. Any recommendations our there? This would be for winter/spring climbs of stuff like Hood, Rainier/Gib Ledges, but not going much more technical than say triple couloirs or stuart glacier couloir. As for fit, most Scarpas work well for me. I am thinking plastics but would like ones that don't lose too much feel and flex for more technical pitches.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought La Sportiva Spantiks last year and they have been great for cold weather. I have used them all over the cascades during the winter. Plenty warm and they climb well for me. There have been reported issues with the lacing system, however I haven't had any issues. The bigger downer is the price point. Hopefully some sales may pop up soon? I got a good deal on brand new ones last holiday season (about 40%). IMO these boots are awesome for cold weather climbing. I think Dane Burns blog has an in depth review on them.

Yes, Dane is correct. I have OR supergaiters, not overboots. They are knee high and have foam inside that insulate from ankle to sole of my boot. It's a great option for me because if temps are marginal I just throw them in my pack and only use if needed. I have no problems keeping my old Salewa strap-on hinged crampons on with them.

Dane - thanks for bringing up that point as I have been considering ordering some 40below Fresh Tracks for my AT boots, but now realize my auto crampons are likely not going to work well with that design.

Who makes good supergaiters now? It appears OR no longer does.

I use and like the Baruntse, but I don't think they worked that well for my climbing partner if I remember right. If Scarpa seems to work better for you I'd say try the Scarpa 6000, I'm sure they're pretty similar when it comes down to it. I got mine in the spring for going to Alaska but was really happy to have them during a surprise storm on Dragontail in April. In lighter boots I might have been in trouble. My lighter climbing boots may climb technical stuff better, but I don't think they'll be seeing much use in the mountains anymore. It's just nice to not have to worry about your feet, and removable liners are really nice for multi day stuff.

Don't be fooled, they are bigger and warmer than singles but the Baruntse is every bit as good as any of the modern double boots Spantik and 6000 included on any technical ground. I happen to think the inner boot on the Baruntse is better than either of the other two...most that have them agree.

Mtn Tools and MEC Wildline Insulated Gore‑Tex Gaiters (Unisex)

is all I know of.