Shell

tele turnin

So I've been using an OR Mentor Shell for quite a while now and have loved it, but it has always been a little tight when things got real cold and I layered up. I'm thinking of going up a size in the same jacket but am curious to hear what other shells people recommend. I'm on a budget so I'm really limited to being able to purchase one shell. My last one saw me up Hood, Adams, St. Helens, Rainier, and a few other outings and was also what I used when skiing in the BC. Ideas? Thanks.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The best high performance and cheap waterproof-breathable shell is two shells: a windbreaker and a raincoat. There are lots of options, and the combined weight can be little or no more than many of the popular hardshell jackets. The cost is less - except I don't know the Costco deal.

If it is below 32 degrees or raining only misty or less wet, wear the wind breaker (keep it treated with water repellant). It will breathe better than most if not all "waterproof breathable" fabrics. If it is really raining, wear the raincoat. It will breathe zero - just as will a completely wet "waterproof-breathable" (water does not breath and a wet shell will not breathe).

With such a system, you have a truly waterproof jacket when it gets really wet, and a truly breathable one when it is not wet but simply windy.

If you are hiking and not really climbing, consider, too, an umbrella. In Europe you see a lot of people walking in the Alps with these things and they work really well in the right conditions. The umbrella you got at the dime store may not be a good choice, though. In the wind you need an umbrella built for that sort of thing.

• 1 month later...

second Mattp's umbrella suggestion. it really does work well and will keep your pack dry, too. it won't help in windy conditions above timberline, though - and there I agree with Matt's other suggestions. I like an ultralight windshirt, and a rain jacket. Montane & Montbell have windshirts that weigh only 2 ounces,or if you'd prefer an ultralight "soft" windshirt, Marmot's "dri-clime" windshirt if a good choice. Mammut used to make an ultralight soft windshirt that I would kill for, but they've discontinued it. With such a windshirt,and a light rainshell, you'll carry less weight than the high-priced waterproof/breathable softshell,and I feel like I get better performance/protection from the combination.

technical rock terrain presents an exception, though. the shells I've described don't last long for rock-climbing. For extended technical rock/ice/mixed climbs something heavier will be more cost effective.

• 2 weeks later...

i have a first accent shell that is very light and packs in a bag i bought that is about 6inches long and 3 inches in diameter. the shell weighd ,i believe,about 14 oz. i bought a large so as to layer underneith. i weigh 155-160 lbs it has been very bomber for me and i have worn it to the same places you have been plus a few more.