Car break-in in front of Stone Gardens

bar-tacked

Just a word of warning and a reminder to not keep anything valuable in the car when parked there - my car got broken into in front of Stone Gardens (Bellevue) yesterday evening.

Fortunatelly nothing was stolen (nothing was really there other than a GPS which for some reason the thiefs decided to leave - not sure what they were after, since they clearly took the effort to open all the compartments and break my window in the process).

Edited by bar-tacked

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

gotta love the random crazy shit - a few years back meth-tweakers sawed through the line running from my gas cap to the gas tank of my car, yet didn't appear to remove any fuel or any other damn thing, save my 3rd wedding ring which i'd left in the ashtray w/ my change :)

My nissan p/u got stolen a few years ago and was missing for almost a year. It finally turned up at an apartment complex in Renton. The neighbors said it had been there nearly the whole time. The stereo was gone but the thiefs took the time to unscrew everything instead of just ripping it out so there was minimal damage. Other than that, no problems!

Man...WTH? That kinda sucks. Was it a lot of damage other than the window...that's $$? At least the GPS was still there.

Hmm..today, I lucked out. I left my car running for 2 hours, unlocked, while in the gym. I didn't want to turn the engine off since it was 33 below-- may not have started back up (no place to plug in). I really should get another key made.....

Edited by PrincessWookie

tweakers suck. although sometimes they can be alright people. the few interactions I've had with them has been a mixed bag. you never know when they are gonna start screaming and convulsing on the ground, when they do your best option is to just lock your car and drive the fuck away. A seriously good reason to carry a loaded handgun.

My nissan p/u got stolen a few years ago and was missing for almost a year. It finally turned up at an apartment complex in Renton. The neighbors said it had been there nearly the whole time. The stereo was gone but the thiefs took the time to unscrew everything instead of just ripping it out so there was minimal damage. Other than that, no problems!

Way back when I remember hearing about folks that had fairly good luck with wiring a hidden toggle switch into the ignition line. Probably redundant on most modern cars.

Saw a couple of dudes trying to break into my truck not long after I bought it and installed a GPS-tracking unit. ~$175 for the unit and $5 to track. Only installed one in the truck because no one makes a unit small enough to install in my Credence tapes.

http://www.rmtracking.com/gpsproducts/vehicle_recovery/smart_tracker.php

I think there's a pattern here. I had a truck stolen and it was quickly left in an alley on Capitol Hill. It became a homeless shelter, and somebody lived in it for a month. I didn't have any Credance tapes, though, so I don't know what made them select such an uncomfortable shelter. After that it smelled bad as long as I owned it and I was amazed that some crazy guy paid $800 for it when, barely running, I finally sold it.

Man...WTH? That kinda sucks. Was it a lot of damage other than the window...that's $$? At least the GPS was still there.

Hmm..today, I lucked out. I left my car running for 2 hours, unlocked, while in the gym. I didn't want to turn the engine off since it was 33 below-- may not have started back up (no place to plug in). I really should get another key made.....

The cost and trouble to have a key made < the cost and trouble of a stolen vehicle with subsequent use as an homeless porta-john.

One of the things I saw done to prevent, or at least hinder, ones car from being stolen from a trail head: The guy took several carefully selected fuses from the main power distribution panel. Things like from the ignition, fuel pump, etc.

A quick and easy way to disable the engine yet reversible in only seconds....IF you know what to do.

Oh - and it sucks that your car was busted into there at SG Bellevue. That gym is pretty sweet.

I think there's a pattern here. I had a truck stolen and it was quickly left in an alley on Capitol Hill. It became a homeless shelter, and somebody lived in it for a month. I didn't have any Credance tapes, though, so I don't know what made them select such an uncomfortable shelter. After that it smelled bad as long as I owned it and I was amazed that some crazy guy paid $800 for it when, barely running, I finally sold it.

Sorry to ruin your theory Matt, but the truck didn't actually smell like a homeless guy was living in it. That was just the next line from Lebowski, after the cop tells the Dude that they couldn't recover the Creedance tapes.

It's very easy for a mechanic to modify your ignition so that you can remove the key while it's running (by pulling it straight out, not by turning the ignition off). This modification is very popular with ranchers, who like to pull their keys out to mess with their trailer without turning the truck off, especially on super cold days when they want their cab to warm up but can't just leave their keys in there.

I'm guessing that leaving your car running is a pretty common practice that far north.

Sorry to ruin your theory Matt, but the truck didn't actually smell like a homeless guy was living in it. That was just the next line from Lebowski, after the cop tells the Dude that they couldn't recover the Creedance tapes.

That's what happens, Larry!

He probably just used it as a toilet before moving on.

speaking of credence, has anyone ever met someone who doesn't like them?

It's the most universally enjoyed music of all time.

dunno 'bout credence, but i fucking hate the eagles!

Credence or the Eagles? Don't hate em, don't love em. I suppose the Eagles are slightly worse. I only hear either if I pick em up on the radio.