• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Natural:

quote:

You add nothing to the discussion with your "hmmmmm".

actually i offered a recent event which of course is what the whole thread is about in the first place. You're right - the next time I offer such an obvious point, I'll respond to it with more than a hmmmm and try to give a little bit more to explain my point of view.

[Roll Eyes]
Werd. [Cool]

quote:

Dru
Canada was still part of the Empire then and we whupped your ass in 1812

That would be like the USA taking credit for beating your ass when we were a british colony and you were a french one. Stupid Canadian taking credit for the failure of the british army cause there mounties can only give out speeding tickets

quote:

Originally posted by trask:

quote:

Originally posted by jordop:

I'm a Canadian and my beer ACTUALLY HAS THE ALCOHOL CONTENT WRITTEN ON THE SIDE OF THE CAN

Most high alcohol beer tastes like shit.

i guess you would be qualified to make that comparison considering you are spraying from someone's colon [Razz]

barley wine from boundry bay in bellyham tastes good to me [big Drink] ... never tasted shit though [Roll Eyes]

Maybe the site for the next Pub Club???

Where serial killers go for a quiet tipple

October 30 2002

Drinkers at the Waterfront are friendly. Except for a few, writes Charlie LeDuff from Bellingham, Washington state.

Serial killers drank here, they say at this bar on Holly Street.

Its name is the Waterfront Tavern. It is a good bar that should not be judged bad simply because some customers misbehaved so spectacularly, patrons said this week.

That is what they said in the mid-1970s after Ted Bundy drank here. Bundy confessed to killing 20 women.

They said it in the late 1970s after Kenneth Bianchi drank here before local police charged him with killing two college roommates. He and a cousin, Angelo Buono, were later convicted in the Hillside Strangler case in Los Angeles.

They said it over a year ago, after James Kinney, who also regularly drank here, was arrested for the murder of a woman found dead off Interstate 5. He pleaded guilty.

Now they are saying John Allen Muhammad, accused in the Washington DC-area sniper case, drank here. "I don't know, we just seem to attract them," said Millie Ulmer, the early morning bartender. "This town is full of drifters, but even so, Muhammad didn't look right to me. Little did I know."

Bellingham, which has a sister city relationship with Port Stephens, NSW, is a border town, the jumping-off place to the Alaskan tundra and the Canadian wilds. The area is home to a mix of hippies, yuppies, militiamen, fishermen, American Indians and tramps.

The bar is a stone's throw from the mission where Muhammad and his teenage travelling companion, John Lee Malvo, stayed. Drinks are cheap. Budweiser is what Muhammad drank as he whiled away mornings watching cable news and The Price is Right.

"He looked clean, and he was very polite and articulate," said Lynne Farmer, the owner. "He always had his own money. He applied for a job, but we threw the application away like we do with all guys from the mission."

Muhammad was belligerent, fellow patrons say; he railed against the United States and spoke up for the World Trade Centre attackers.

"I wanted to take him outside when he was cheering for 9/11," said Drew Samdilands. "I had a gut feeling about the guy and I wanted to kick his head in, but they probably would have put me in jail."

On Monday three Virginia counties indicted Muhammad and his juvenile partner Malvo in a string of fatal shootings and other capital punishment crimes. Similar charges were filed last week in Maryland and Alabama.

Despite the guest list, people who drink at the Waterfront described themselves as warm, well-adjusted. Perhaps it was their accepting attitude that let so many notorious characters feel welcome.

"Live and let live," said Pete Davis, who is unemployed. "Of course, we only know after the fact that they're bad guys. I don't know. Maybe we should name sandwiches after them."