[TR] Cody Ice Conditions - 11/17/2011

Coldfear

Trip: Cody Ice Conditions -

Date: 11/17/2011

Trip Report:

Just put a bunch of photos up on the Coldfear Facebook page on conditions in the South Fork Valley. I will have the main condition page on Coldfear.com updated soon as well with a full detailed report. LIKE the fbook page if you want updates through the season. I hope everyone is getting psyched for the season!

If your bored at work there are lots of videos of last years incredible First ascents and good times at the Coldfear Vimeo Page such as this one!

[video:vimeo]

Aaron Mulkey

Edited by Coldfear

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Aaron, nice videos. Do you use the GoPro by chance to do helmet cam ice climbing? Just curious - trying to figure out the best mounting for capturing a route from POV.

And where'd you get the fancy billed climbing helmet?!

Thanks! :-)

Cale

Edited by CaleHoopes

Cale its a helmet made by Sweet called the Strutter helmet. It is far superior to any climbing helmet and with the brim deflects ice that is headed for the face. It is made as a kayak helmet but the testing standards on kayak helmets are probably higher then climbing testing. I have taken some big hits with it and not been effected slightly.

Many south side climbs are in good shape.

I got hit by a rock while rapping off of the very first route - High On Boulder. My fault for building a rap anchor right on the line. Really lucky that it swiped my upper arm first before landing on the forearm. With more luck might climb again this season.

Top pitch not yet formed if I am looking at the right place:

Cody_November_2011_015.jpg

First 2 pitches and the Moonrise:

Cody_November_2011_016.jpg

Cody was great: really nice people, Holiday Inn is very clean, all valley climbs are lined up along the road with easy access and not too much hiking and with many climbs having multiple pitches - just perfect. Judging by our route the ratings are not at all sandbagged. We took waders and river crossing was a piece of cake - cross almost anywhere you want. Saw huge bear paw prints!

Will definitely go there again!