[TR] Dynaaaamiiite Cave - A Baker's Eleven 11/11/2011

ivan

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In Deadhorse, the lower end of the cave goes underwater in winter or spring, and you might have to turn around and reverse the whole thing, a long ways if youre not planning on it. Happened to me and my brother and kids, exciting reversing the squeeze. I think the high water happens later in the season with the snow melt. You can check in the lower end where you park your car, by going in 100 feet and seeing if its passable. With a wetsuit and a waterproof lamp I'd consider the swim. It would be cool to finish where you have to hold your breath and go for it after all that crawling.

• 11 months later...

"the early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese" - jesus-fuck, what a fractious omen!

the season for spelunking once again upon us - last month a rare old time w/ rick n' company for his big 5-0 i think it 'twas - shindig at his new digs afterwards - guitar picking, chili n' gut laughs - howling at the moon around the fire - damn near passed out in opdyke's ride Pondering on the Divine

today the best of days for bumbling around belowdecks - adam and i were out to take in the sandcastles after a toke or two - we took his ride, a most fateful decision - rumbling out through the sheets of solid rain and the double-reef gale roaring down the gorge, the truck sure seemed to be missing some beats here and there, stumbling even, but hope is a long-standing strategy of mine, and it usually answers...just not today. pulling into the deep mud of the parking lot, it konked out even before we came to a complete stop.

sheeeeit. not much to do but drink an initial tall-boy and have a haw-geez moment. thought we could maybe push it back to the road and maybe get it push-started back to life. that proved impossible in the bottom-less muck and the uphill grade. tried then to rig up a hauling system to jerk it across the morass. had a bunch of pulleys but not enough in the end to generate anything like the amount of force it was gonna take. sodden as hell, it got kinda grim for awhile. short-commons for all the essentials: warm clothing, beers, food, smokes. spring sure seemed a long way off...

modern technology managed it all in the end. pretty nice to know, when the shit goes down, that you can always Text the Right People. took a number of hours, but eventually the cavalry arrived in the lot even before the sun fuckered off in drowned dusk. adam's bro andrew, home-bound from the dalles w/ his righteous dame and a good-old boy sized rig, got us jumped back to life, which proved little help though as the truck kept dying anyway. eventually we man-handled the malingering fuck into a better location, then ditched it on the side of the road, stripped of all but the empty beer-cans, and set off in the growing dark tempest. amazing rain and hurricane winds along the 14, like ocean waves breaking over a sea-wall, beacon all about to carry away.

and now for the recovery...

nope, but would love to know, via pm if'n yer one of them that likes to keep secrets off the interwebs - i got a wicked detailed topo awhile back that made it look like there's a seperate entrance that gets you into a "firecracker cave" that connects, but it seems you could get there from the regular way by throwing a toe-line through the upper roof and dragging up a regular line that could then be fixed to the floor? sounds fine in theory, so wouldn't mind hearing some more refined details :)

I know of the secret map you speak of sir.

No one has made the Firecracker - Dynamited connection yet, that I know of. I think they overlap, but that's it... unless you want to dig at it, but that just makes it fester.

Now I haven't done this yet and am not certain as to the exact location, but I think its the natural bridge in the Big Room. You anchor rope on the south high point of the Big Room and throw it over the natural bridge, then climb the rope hanging on the other side to to Big Room Overlook. You free in Feb.? ;)

P.S. or it could be the Ballroom, but same method. Have to see it to be sure...

Edited by mike1

i've never tried to traipse back there in february, but might could be game to make a big raging party out of it - send me a pm mayhap when yer in the mood? i could probably scrounge up some other socio-paths to make a proper affair of the whole thign :)

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...

12/22/14 - back at it after a busted trip last fall w/ the phuzzy - us forelorn at the brink of the abyss when the automovat shat itself and we sulked under pouring skies trying to sort out the situation - saved at the very last minute by the most unlikely of sultans

this time around the augurs argued poorly as well - an alarm clock in the dark, anger and awful feelings ensued - my hangover was nearly hounded off by mikes house, well propped up w/ proper weeds - shifted my shit to the superior ride, and we hied off w/ his cousin (?) chase

miles trickled by and soon enough past trout lake - soon thereafter fell fate laid a tracie-lords appropriate tree-cock across our road - drank some beer and smoked a butt and debated the wisdom of babes - a resolute aversion to returning prematurely to our crowd-fucked abodes and the absence of any sort of alternative soon saw us kitted up and crawling off down the very, very icy road - an hour and near four miles of huff-puffing finally found us at the cave after only a few wrong turns, the way made strange by plenty of snow but well-lit w/ a wonderous bright sun

pbr and sorting shit n' smoking n' then down the stone cunt like countless times before - we wound our way through the tunnels of the demon god - equipped rather lightly giving the length of the walk, we'd settled for just visiting the sand-castles which we over-hauled soon enough - riddles and giggles in the dark - the wet earth above pouring through our passages, we passed the time amicably, indifferent and uncaring of the sorrows of our sordid relations in the Up World - all good things must end and the way to home always wends, so without complaint we thanked our saints and sojurned back up to the surface

the rest of the day easily dispatched - pepper poppers and 40 ounces of freedom from the ko-rea-ans in bz corner - we bound o'er hill and dale while i read hunting regulations and dream of a life clad in blaze orange - camas by dark, half a dozen pisses later, i plan the rest of my crazy christmas, yet end up waylaid on the couch by mid-evening, keening my crooked spine :)

• 5 months later...

Went back there this last Sunday to show a friend the upper section. The entrance was buggered up with swarms of bees, hornets and wasps trying to cool off. Have you seen a Bald Faced Hornet destroy a Yellow Jacket? We turn around and grabbed some IPA instead.

• 5 months later...

11/11/15 - big rick's 53rd bday - four years in, it's a tradition that's becoming time honored, so i hope that heady-feeler don't tick off around the horizon too soon

a mere 5-spot this time - rick, geoff, steve, new-olde-guy todde n' meself - rawdneezvouzed near trout lake n' formed a 3-car convoy for the crawl in - glorious glowing mt adams, festooned n fresh snow - great grim grey clouds n' piercing sun though it all - reached the sodden parking lot in a pretty appreciable situation - no rain, the road reasonably bare - a rare-old gut-laff accomplished along the way - never seem to have a straight-face w/ good old geoff, much as i might want to effect a fatwa upon his dumb ass from time to time :)

forgot a 4th rope was worth porting along - we rambled down to just above the final tube n' found ourselves a bit perplexed - seemed too hare-brained to try down-soloing, seem to recall last time we rapped down but easy scrambled back up?

many beers below ground at any rate - the atmosphere soaked with smoke n' cold body-sweat - breathing a big no-no if'n you want to walk and see where it is yer wending - fungus forming on old discarded food - it's always like a late saturday night in vegas down in that slick vaginal sick hole...

here's to 53 more years for our hero :brew: