• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Berkeley leaders refuse mutual aid agreements

By Doug Oakley

Oakland Tribune

Citing excessive force and free speech violations by police during protests in Oakland and at UC Berkeley, the Berkeley City Council this week refused a mutual aid agreement with university police and nixed agreements with other police agencies on regional domestic surveillance.

Council members used news reports of police using excessive force at the Occupy Oakland protests and at previous protests at UC Berkeley as reason for not renewing the agreements that usually are approved each year without fanfare.

In addition, the council did not renew an agreement with the federal government on detaining illegal immigrants at the city jail.

The 8-0 vote, with Mayor Tom Bates abstaining, means the council will revisit those agreements at a later date after scrutinizing them more thoroughly.

Other mutual aid agreements with police departments around the Bay Area included in the 900-plus page document before the council were approved as part of the vote.

The two-way mutual aid agreements allow other police departments to call on Berkeley police for help during demonstrations, natural disasters and other big events and for Berkeley to do the same when it needs help.

"Some of my constituents believe the right to demonstrate is something we should respect," Councilman Jesse Arreguin said. "That's my issue with the UC police department, and I don't know how we address that."

http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking-news/ci_19299488

Pressured to Name Leader, Occupy Denver Elects Dog

Denver Mayor Michael Hancock insisted that his city's occupation name a leader in order "to deal with City and State officials." And he got his wish! Occupy Denver has elected Shelby, a border collie, as its leader. Long live Shelby!

Shelby, on whose noble visage you can gaze here, was elected in a "landslide vote" on Sunday night. One of Occupy Denver's organizers, Al Nesby, was inspired to nominate Shelby to the position after the director Michael Moore showed up one day and rubbed him the wrong way by refusing to follow general assembly rules; with Shelby, who's three and a half, the occupation should have no such problems. Her bodyguard and closest confidante is a filmmaker named Peter John Jentsch

what would Bill say? "they deserve it, they knew what would happen."

No way man. Those kids looked pretty damn brave. Not running, not fighting, just standing there all insistent. I'd put my money on them if they had nightsticks. I would have gotten the hell right out of there, I dislike having people beat on me with sticks, pool cues, beer bottles and the like.

Denver Mayor Michael Hancock insisted that his city's occupation name a leader in order "to deal with City and State officials." And he got his wish! Occupy Denver has elected Shelby, a border collie, as its leader.

It's brilliant. Love it.

Denver Mayor Michael Hancock insisted that his city's occupation name a leader in order "to deal with City and State officials." And he got his wish! Occupy Denver has elected Shelby, a border collie, as its leader.

It's brilliant. Love it.

Yeah, those are folks we should take seriously!

...One of Occupy Denver's organizers, Al Nesby, was inspired to nominate Shelby to the position after the director Michael Moore showed up one day and rubbed him the wrong way by refusing to follow general assembly rules...
Now, why does that not suprise me...? :rolleyes:

[video:youtube]
Wow, this just simply amazes me, and in CA no less, the birthplace of this nation's modern protest movements. Reminds me of police actions before the Watts riots and during the VN War protests. How do these LEOs come off thinking this is acceptable behavior? Please don't give me the "they're just doing their job" excuse. Beating up on unarmed, non-threatening, barely-past-pubescence young adults is not "doing their job" IMO. Very, very sad... :(

Follow the cop that started it, the second one from the left, helmet #114 (it appears to read - can't really make it out). He's the only one who goes on non-stop beating through the whole video. It's as if he actually enjoys this form of employment... :noway:

...One of Occupy Denver's organizers, Al Nesby, was inspired to nominate Shelby to the position after the director Michael Moore showed up one day and rubbed him the wrong way by refusing to follow general assembly rules...

Except that it sounds like sour grapes. This person also claims Moore showed up, and "made everyone listen to him in the center of the circle with a bullhorn like he was our leader", while in fact Moore was already an hour late and people were waiting for him to speak (the crowd was 10x larger than it usually is for the occasion) and he also started by saying he wasn't their spokesperson. I am also not sure how he could have managed to make anybody listen to him.

Edited by j_b

Except that it sounds like sour grapes. This person also claims Moore showed up, and "made everyone listen to him in the center of the circle with a bullhorn like he was our leader", while in fact Moore was already an hour late and people were waiting for him to speak (the crowd was 10x larger than it usually is for the occasion) and he also started by saying he wasn't their spokesperson. I am also not sure how he could have managed to make anybody listen to him.

plus he is fat. i mean look at the size of him!!!!

michaelmoore__oPt.jpg

he's only there to make another million $$$

plus he is fat. i mean look at the size of him!!!!

michaelmoore__oPt.jpg

he's only there to make another million $$$

speaking of corporate/capitalist/free-market excess...