I-1183

sobo

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

this directly equates to more drunk people, no way to get around that. not that there is anything wrong with that. other than dui's, abuse, etc if you care about that shit. but more money for the government to squander or build out the police state!

but the other states with a similar setup are still operational....we'll be ok....albeit a little more sauced. pour me another drink :brew:

I admit I haven't looked at the numbers, but some of this must be via cost savings and not increased sales don't ya think? 900 state employees pay is not insignificant....should be able to get an extra 900 teachers hired out of that 80 million extra in the pocket, or pay off some bills.

Yup. I hope you voted NO.

I think our liquor laws are stupid and the State should not be in the distribution business, but I don't think that restricting the sale of liquor to Costco and 10,000 square foot Safeway stores is the right idea.

Give the law time. In the future the law will change to allow smaller stores. Don't expect home runs. A lot of base hits is a good strategy.

The new law ALREADY allows for smaller stores. Please review the thread, or the legislation. Either one, it'll tell you the same thing.

Huh? I did read the initiative and the thread. What I am talking about is this 10,000 foot rule will probably be eliminated in the future. I understand where there are NO 10,000 foot stores, then there are exceptions…but this 10,000 foot rule will probably be eliminated in some time to allow for more competition.

Yup. I hope you voted NO.

I think our liquor laws are stupid and the State should not be in the distribution business, but I don't think that restricting the sale of liquor to Costco and 10,000 square foot Safeway stores is the right idea.

Give the law time. In the future the law will change to allow smaller stores. Don't expect home runs. A lot of base hits is a good strategy.

The new law ALREADY allows for smaller stores. Please review the thread, or the legislation. Either one, it'll tell you the same thing.

Huh? I did read the initiative and the thread. What I am talking about is this 10,000 foot rule will probably be eliminated in the future. I understand where there are NO 10,000 foot stores, then there are exceptions…but this 10,000 foot rule will probably be eliminated in some time to allow for more competition.

Sorry, Stefan, I guess I misread the part in your post where you said "...the law will change to allow smaller stores...". Since the law already does allow them, I could not process your comment in any other way other than to assume that you thought the law did not allow for smaller stores. My apologies for not understanding what you wrote.

Yet, state owned liquor stores are as American as apple pie. GOPers were opposed to more liquor stores and telling us to think of the children not so long ago, so it's kind of ironic. Especially that we are one of the very few non-Islamic state with a 21 yo legal drinking age.
What irony, and how did this initiative become an issue of partisan politics??

Yet, state owned liquor stores are as American as apple pie.

Bullshit. They are a prohbition-era (look how that worked out) throwback.

And quit trying to pull out the partisan card at every opportunity. State you're for or against something, state why, and listen to what others say for once rather than try to associate them with party, or specific political figures. :rolleyes:

Yet, state owned liquor stores are as American as apple pie. GOPers were opposed to more liquor stores and telling us to think of the children not so long ago, so it's kind of ironic. Especially that we are one of the very few non-Islamic state with a 21 yo legal drinking age.

What irony, and how did this initiative become an issue of partisan politics??

Not that I paid a great deal of attention but the GOP tended to support the initiative in the name of the "free" market, while Dems tended to oppose it for a number of reasons ranging from jobs to saving the children. It obviously wasn't a fast rule since for example I am as liberal as they come and I always thought it was stupid to not have regular stores sell alcohol.

The irony resides in those people who usually and historically don't want alcohol or soft drugs to be freely available arguing that availability plays no role in use frequency.

Edited by j_b

Not that I paid a great deal of attention but the GOP tended to support the initiative in the name of the "free" market, while Dems tended to oppose it for a number of reasons ranging from jobs to saving the children.
Meh. I never saw that in my research nor experienced it in my discussions of the proposal with others. Guess I just missed that...

The irony resides in those people who usually and historically don't want alcohol or soft drugs to be freely available arguing that availability plays no role in use frequency.
I guess the irony was lost on me, since I don't fall into that camp.

democrat and republican don't even mean anything. There are plenty of conservative democrats (Mississippi, anyone??) and plenty of liberal republicans. They're just parties. Ideologies shift. Remember when the southern democrats resisted civil rights legislation in the 60's? LOL.

Edited by rob