I-1183

sobo

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

anybody find it aggravating that you actually have to be a member of costco to shop there? seem like there'll be more than a few folks who will have to get a costco membership to get booze now, b/c there wont' be a big enough alternative nearby?

ugghh. not this again. many places other than Costco will be selling liquor.

i have no idea what a 10,000 sq ft store looks like - i wouldnt' be suprised if my local safeway isn't - is the standard fred meyer that big? i don't care particularily on the issue, i just fucking hate costco and would be pissed indeed to find that being my only option on the rare occasion i buy something other than cheap burgundy :)

The average grocery store (Freddie's, Safeway, Albertson's, etc.) sits on about 40,000 to 60,000 SF.

Ten thousand square feet would be a store approximately 100 feet by 100 feet. Surely, you can imagine that?

By way of comparison, my local WSLCB store is about 2,000 SF (estimated as 60 FT of frintage by 30 feet of depth).

anybody find it aggravating that you actually have to be a member of costco to shop there? seem like there'll be more than a few folks who will have to get a costco membership to get booze now, b/c there wont' be a big enough alternative nearby?
I just renewed my Costco membership this past weekend. At $50/year, with Costco gas selling for about $0.25/gallon less than other stations in town ($3.559 v $3.799), and given my driving patterns, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that my membership dues are paid for by my savings on gasoline purchases in about 9 months of normal driving. If I take my rig on road trips, the savings pay me back even faster. So why not have a Costco membership already?

So why not have a Costco membership already?

'cuz looking at the typical costco customer and their tick-fat cracker clan accompanying them (and sweet jesus, there's no way not to be swarmed by them like a naked virgin mary in a zombie wedding fantasy) makes me feel like maybe i should go home and put a shotgun in my mouth? :)

no fears on the costco front though - a casual 15 minute walk will now allow me to get much drunker much faster than before 1183 made the Bad Olde Days dissappear :)

'cuz looking at the typical costco customer and their tick-fat cracker clan accompanying them (and sweet jesus, there's no way not to be swarmed by them like a naked virgin mary in a zombie wedding fantasy) makes me feel like maybe i should go home and put a shotgun in my mouth? :)

Oh, I hear ya, friend. Fuq'n frightening to be sure. When I shop Costco, I have a battle plan mapped out ahead of time, and head directly to business, always looking straight ahead, never making eye contact with the Blutos running amok.

And stay away from the free sample stations. Navigating around them is like trying to head upstream through a buffalo stampede... :noway:

Oh, I hear ya, friend. Fuq'n frightening to be sure. When I shop Costco, I have a battle plan mapped out ahead of time, and head directly to business, always looking straight ahead, never making eye contact with the Blutos running amok.

And stay away from the free sample stations. Navigating around them is like trying to head upstream through a buffalo stampede... :noway:

go 1/2 hour before closing. problem solved.

Life is too short for shopping at Costco. They could give that shit away for free; the assault on the senses still wouldn't be worth it.

I'd bet most people wind up throwing away more than they save anyway.

meh. delegate and forget. the wife sures seems to enjoy the trip (is there a sex-toy aisle?) so i leave it in her capable hands. god knows we never waste a single one of the million or so kalamata olives we get from there w/ great regularity, and the daughter can eat her weight in ramen if need (and thus we form the basis of our zombie-apocalypse survival plan). :)

Life is too short for shopping at Costco. They could give that shit away for free; the assault on the senses still wouldn't be worth it.

meh. delegate and forget. the wife sures seems to enjoy the trip (is there a sex-toy aisle?) so i leave it in her capable hands. god knows we never waste a single one of the million or so kalamata olives we get from there w/ great regularity, and the daughter can eat her weight in ramen if need (and thus we form the basis of our zombie-apocalypse survival plan). :)

They sell a tasty greek Feta cheese - 16 oz size. It'll go nicely with your kalamata olives, Vanya.

Being a creepy, Cain-esque artist, I need to be surrounded by hotties, not rhinos, for a satisfying shopping experience. That's why I choose TJ's, the yuppie epicenter of the universe, for nearly all of my hunting and gathering.

I can't stand big stores. It's like shopping at the fucking airport, without the free crotch massage.

They sell a tasty greek Feta cheese - 16 oz size. It'll go nicely with your kalamata olives, Vanya.

And they have the best price anywhere for leg of lamb. Buy one, trim it, but into 2 inch cubes which you can sautee, braise or skewer. 5 lbs of meat will not last long in a family of 4-6. Freeze the remaining lb of bits that don't make it into the larger chunks and save for a moroccan stew with garbanzos, lentils and lemon.

for me this whole thing is a wash. cheaper, more accessible booze isn't necessarily the best thing in the world for my liver (not that I need the state to tell me what I can't subject my liver to or not).

they just put in a fancy new state run licker store right by my house with tons of selection. but then there are a lot of 10,000 sq ft grocery stores near my house (including a new trader joes going in, they helped Costco pay for the Pro side). 10,000 sq ft really isn't a lot of space for a store...but then I wonder what the selection will be like because they probably need to sell more than booze...

I hope the tax rev. is what they said it will be.

also it does bother me a bit that Costco spent 22 million to get it passed. stuff like this should pass on merit rather than 22 million dollars worth of propaganda...well 22 million minus the 12 million of the opposition spent (also WAY WAY too much), so more accurately 10 million dollars of net propaganda. I wish there was a way that money could be spend to on educating voters from unbiased view point rather than who has the most money to spend.

I hope that people set about fixing this new legislation, because, as several of you mention, it is flawed. I did vote against it for that reason, but I can certainly see the argument of "change it now, fix it later".

ugghh. not this again. many places other than Costco will be selling liquor.

The state budgeting office figures the number of outlets selling liquor will jump from 328 to 1,428. It also expects the change to generate an average of $80 million more in annual revenue for the state and local governments over the next six years.

The state budgeting office figures the number of outlets selling liquor will jump from 328 to 1,428. It also expects the change to generate an average of $80 million more in annual revenue for the state and local governments over the next six years.

this directly equates to more drunk people, no way to get around that. not that there is anything wrong with that. other than dui's, abuse, etc if you care about that shit. but more money for the government to squander or build out the police state!

but the other states with a similar setup are still operational....we'll be ok....albeit a little more sauced. pour me another drink :brew:

There is no correlation between the regulation of alcohol (state liquor stores versus free market) and per capita drinking by state. CA (free market) has about the same per capita annual alcohol consumption as WA, for ex. OR, also a liquor store state, has significantly higher consumption than WA and CA. Drinking patterns are dependent on more local, complicated factors than the simplistic 'availability' argument attempts to suggest. Once a product is available past a certain threshold, more availability doesn't do much to change consumption patterns.

The idea that hordes of folks will suddenly increase their drinking because they can get hard alcohol 10 blocks closer seems like bullshit to me. People will drink about the same...they may substitute liquor for beer or wine, but I don't buy the whole 'drunker Washington' argument. Booze of any kind is readily available enough now to allow anyone to drink their fill, so they are probably already drinking at their 'saturation' level now.

Similarly, I don't buy the whole 'massive increase in tax revenue' argument, either.

There is no correlation between the regulation of alcohol (state liquor stores versus free market) and per capita drinking by state. CA (free market) has about the same per capita annual alcohol consumption as WA, for ex. OR, also a liquor store state, has significantly higher consumption than WA and CA. Drinking patterns are dependent on more local, complicated factors than the simplistic 'availability' argument attempts to suggest. Once a product is available past a certain threshold, more availability doesn't do much to change consumption patterns.

The idea that hordes of folks will suddenly increase their drinking because they can get hard alcohol 10 blocks closer seems like bullshit to me. People will drink about the same...they may substitute liquor for beer or wine, but I don't buy the whole 'drunker Washington' argument. Booze of any kind is readily available enough now to allow anyone to drink their fill, so they are probably already drinking at their 'saturation' level now.

Similarly, I don't buy the whole 'massive increase in tax revenue' argument, either.

i wasn't saying that there was a correlation...merely that the statement that there would be additional revenue would mean more drunk people. regardless of how you get the alcohol into your body, its being taxed pretty heavily.

i wasn't saying that there was a correlation...merely that the statement that there would be additional revenue would mean more drunk people. regardless of how you get the alcohol into your body, its being taxed pretty heavily.

Yeah, that's why I don't buy the 'spike in revenue' thing. Alcohol consumption has steadily declined in the past few decades, despite a huge increase in availability. Presumably, this is due to aging, better substance abuse awareness, more stringent DUI and underage laws, and raising the drinking age to 21 in a lot of states. IMO, this measure will do little to reverse that trend.