I-1183

sobo

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

+1 Teens buy the cheapest stuff (beer, generally) they can get their hands on.

boy did i not go to high school w/ you :)

the main reason i'm for keeping shit the way it is w/ state run stores is we need to legalize weed - the public will need it's hand held during the transition process, and so state run liquor stores will be the most logical place to allow it - i'm fine w/ ditching state-run stores after that :)

the main reason i'm for keeping shit the way it is w/ state run stores is we need to legalize weed - the public will need it's hand held during the transition process, and so state run liquor stores will be the most logical place to allow it - i'm fine w/ ditching state-run stores after that :)
Dood, that's what the "medical dispensaries" are for. Duh.

Just leave things the way they are. Keep the state in the liquor business. What's it hurting? Who cares? Where's the spilt milk?
Outdated, outmoded, monopolistic oligarchy. I have no qualms with the State regulating the sales of liquor (via enforcement and/or legislation regarding minimum age, etc.). I just don't believe they should be the ones selling it.

It is my contention that teen drinking does not begin at the liquor store (at least, it never did for me). Teens acquire their alcohol either by stealing it from their parents, purchasing it themselves with a fake ID, or finding someone 21 or older to purchase it for them. The former will continue until hell freezes over. The latter two will occur whether or not I-1183 passes or fails, just as it occurs now. So the argument that getting the State out of liquor sales and putting it into the hands of private enterprise will increase the incidence of teen drinking just doesn't flush.

I'd say these days highschoolers drink more liquor because it's easier to buy in large quantities, which is important when some much older person is doing you a favor in buying it. As teens get older they have more older friends and friends with fake IDs, so they drink more and more beer because it's more convenient to just go down to the gas station. I think I usually drank better stuff as a teenager because my income wasn't going to things like rent and expensive gas, and because snoopdogg recommended it. I was young not that long ago.

I'm too tired to write anything about the real issue at hand.

Before you ask me, "HEY SOBO! WHAT TIME IS IT???"

...ask me how I voted on I-1183.

Now really, would you have expected me to vote any other way? :):brew: :brew: :brew:

Just squeeking that ballot in under the wire, eh Sobo?

I sure did. After reading this I ran and found my ballot and completed it. I drove down to the local drop off box. A worker was collecting them along with the evening news going live on the spot. I asked when is the latest we can drop them off. He said 8 pm. It was 7:56 pm. "under the wire" is right.

boy did i not go to high school w/ you :)

I-502 (legalize weed) only requires that the Liquor Control Board remains intact - which it does (to regulate the sale of liquor) under I-1183. So it's consistent to vote YES on 1183 and still support weed legalization.

Not true. I-502 has nothing to do with the existing medical marijuana law (medical dispensaries still exist a legal gray area in WA, BTW). It requires the state to sell pot directly, not through dispensaries or other private entities.

Not true. I-502 has nothing to do with the existing medical marijuana law (medical dispensaries still exist a legal gray area in WA, BTW). It requires the state to sell pot directly, not through dispensaries or other private entities.

My understanding is that it also allows the user to privately grow his own, up to 30 plants at any one time, I believe.

The "medical dispensaries" comment was just a (shitty) joke for ivan, Pat. I know nothing really about I-502. It's just not in my kitchen cuz I put the bong down years and years ago.

Back to orginal topic: One thing I noticed distinctly missing from the 1183 discussion was what would have happened if it did not pass regarding SB 5942 - which was already pass by Olympia back in April. It would sell liquor distribution and warehousing to the highest bidder - basically a one time revenue boost (WA would maintain control -whatever that means), while 1183 provides a long-term revenue source. So the default would lose us a pile of future revenue for a short-term, temporary boost.

Back to orginal topic: One thing I noticed distinctly missing from the 1183 discussion was what would have happened if it did not pass regarding SB 5942 - which was already pass by Olympia back in April. It would sell liquor distribution and warehousing to the highest bidder - basically a one time revenue boost (WA would maintain control -whatever that means), while 1183 provides a long-term revenue source. So the default would lose us a pile of future revenue for a short-term, temporary boost.

We win.

Yup. I hope you voted NO.

I think our liquor laws are stupid and the State should not be in the distribution business, but I don't think that restricting the sale of liquor to Costco and 10,000 square foot Safeway stores is the right idea.

Give the law time. In the future the law will change to allow smaller stores. Don't expect home runs. A lot of base hits is a good strategy.

Yup. I hope you voted NO.

I think our liquor laws are stupid and the State should not be in the distribution business, but I don't think that restricting the sale of liquor to Costco and 10,000 square foot Safeway stores is the right idea.

Give the law time. In the future the law will change to allow smaller stores. Don't expect home runs. A lot of base hits is a good strategy.

The new law ALREADY allows for smaller stores. Please review the thread, or the legislation. Either one, it'll tell you the same thing.

Beat ya to it, Stephen. :grlaf:

Looks like there'll be a period leading up to the transfer where selection will suck Sobo. Better stock up on Nighttrain! ;-)

Oh, yes, I saw that train (no pun intended) comin'! Already ahead of there, Holmes. :tup:

And for the record, Wild Irish Rose is my "stockpile" wine of choice... pukeface.gif

anybody find it aggravating that you actually have to be a member of costco to shop there? seem like there'll be more than a few folks who will have to get a costco membership to get booze now, b/c there wont' be a big enough alternative nearby?