[TR] Trail Lake Coulee - Spanish Castle Magic 11/6/2011

Buckshot

Trip: Trail Lake Coulee - Spanish Castle Magic

Date: 11/6/2011

Trip Report:

11062011525.jpg11062011524.jpg

We had a little time Sunday afternoon and ran out to Trail Lake Coulee to check it out. I just learned about this area and its close to home so I thought it might be fun. Sure its cold but oh well.

In the picture the route we climbed is just to the right of center under the sharp notch in the ridgeline.

Of course I left the guidebook at home so we climbed the first route that looked remotely do-able.

Looking back at the guidebook I think we (10 yr old son and I) climbed Spanish Castle Magic 5.8.

The route had at least one football sized rock that we could have easily pried loose but decided to let the ice this winter do it for us. There were several other loose chunks to avoid and the routes all looked dirty in general. What made the trip worth it was the fact that we had the coulee to ourselves.

So after one lap each, the girls decided to bail and go sit in the van with all of our warm clothes, we decided to call it a night since was getting dark and really cold.

We will be back though.

I think this is my first TR!

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

New climber here, been out to Trail Lake Coulee on three different occasions in Sept/Oct doing some top-rope soloing (climbing partner is often unavailable, so I do what I can to keep into it). It *is* kind of a nice hidden area, although there are other people there from time to time. For example, I was there one Saturday when climbing group from EWU showed up, and it sounds like I was there 5 days before you and your family discovered the area, as well as 7 days after. I wonder how often others are around? Probably from time to time on the weekend, but I'm sure it will likely never get crowded.

I also experienced what you are talking about with loose rock. Every. Single. Time. It is a little disappointing, but I still enjoy it out there. Only 45 minutes from Moses Lake, and much quieter than heading the Vantage direction.

Have fun, maybe I'll see you out there in the spring!

(Second thought - How has your experience been with your 10-year old climbing and belaying with you? My 9-yo daugher desparately wants to get into the sport. I'm sure she would not be able to belay, but are the young ones able to enjoy top-roping out on an actual rock like this?)

• 4 weeks later...

GO BUCKSHOT...and cheers to the young belayer!! Awesome! I can't wait to get back there this summer.

Don't forget that you'll soon have access to another belay slave! I'll be in Wenatchee this May.

*sigh* I just recalled...... the last time I was at FC I ran into Charlie Porter; what a cool person he was By chance our paths crossed a few times that summer. Never again though. :(

• 2 weeks later...