Pullups on ice tools. No bueno?

keenwesh

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First off. I once again agree with Dane. Get your dorm room arse outside.

Another ice training tip is to set up some horizontal boards up on a wall. The distance from the top of the board to the floor should be where you're fully extended with your one tool hooked on the board and your knees are at 90 degree right angles, toes against the wall. Now pull/stand while reaching as high as you can with the arm not hold the tool (holding a 2-3kg weight while doing this is good as well) hold for half a sec then drop back down to 90 degrees. Repeat. Do this 25 times with the right then the left. Never had any elbow issues with this and if anyone should it's me.

Edited by fultonville

sounds good. I assume there is a board along the floor that the feet step on? or is the feet on the floor up against the wall?

No board on floor. Feet flat with toes against the wall. If done right the single tool hooked on the board on the wall will keep you from falling over backwards. This keeps the arm and legs from getting a break without putting to much strain on it all. Hope that makes sense!

got it, I'll see if I can rig something like that up in my dorm room. Yesterday I went to G1 and did laps on it all day, never pumped off my tools and I was doing the steepest parts I could. So much fun. Before leaving I wanted to get a lead in so we walked over to greensleeves and I ran up it, really a good one for a first ice lead, rambles up for 100 feet and currently the ice isn't thick enough for screws except for in a couple places.

376644_2648198202645_1186393944_33192708_1242228129_n.jpg

getting out tomorrow and gonna head for over easy and if it's in fat enough I'll give'er on curtains.

376644_2648198202645_1186393944_33192708_1242228129_n.jpg

Nice pic of lower green sleeves

If you want to gain a bit more indurence than make the hike up to Twin Falls, its a full 170(ish) feet so bring double 60s to make the rap off. As of a week ago (nov 5th 2011) the left flow was a good WI4 with great 20 foot steeps.

The right hand flow was WI3 with only a few rest stops. Here is a pic

P1060818.jpg

I hiked up to the winter dance area and did over easy today, it was kinda thin down low and up top the ice was slushy, no screws but the picks went in to the hilt and stayed there. lots of spindrift, great fun. I want to head over to twin falls. I was looking across at it today, but I'm going back to olympia next saturday for a week so I'm out for the count on ice for 2 weekends. Cleo's is touching, should be in by the time I'm back!

Troll!

as posted by Wikipedia: Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts inflammatory,[2] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[3] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion

i.e. by definition this response.

Learning new shit every day! Thanks Dane

Keenan-

for what its worth, I've been doing pullups on my leashless grip ice tools for years, with no issues. to me it feels far less stressful than a regular bar. rings or free-floating handles will create even less joint stress, but I like the specificity of pulling on my tools. of course, I'm still working back into shape (will take a few years), but I'm up to a set of nine, with additional shorter sets, and have had no issues. the kind of injuries you might sustain are most likely overuse type injuries, which you probably don't need to worry about until you are capable of multiple sets of 20 or so. Glad you're liking Bozeman!

-Curt (Haireball)