Dynafit Speed Superlight

Matt Kidd

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can pick them up at Pro Ski in North Bend for $399.00. That’s not a bad price but I don’t think I would put them on my everyday ski set up. They are designed for racing so I am not sure how much of a pounding they would take over a period of a couple of seasons.

They aren’t the lightest out there. The La Sportiva RSR binding come is 84 grams lights per pair than the Dynafit Speed Superlight and the Sa Sportiva RT is 20 grams lighter.

I don’t race so I will just stick to my Dynafit Classics that weigh almost twice but have never broken.

Up side is they are light. Down side is they don't have full release. But not sure after using most everything available, any of them actually do. But they do release.

If I had an easy choice (read less $) I would use a 4 hole plate like the La Sportiva adjustment plate or the Plum plate for added support on the heal piece.

Three screws on the heel is a little sketchy imo.

But that said I skied this version after we got home last winter until Sept 4, which was my last day of skiing...on lifts and in the back country.

http://www.dynafit.com/product/bindings/low-tech-race-auto

I did do a forward heel release I thought might actually tear my leg off but the binding was still intact (lwt Dynafit ski) so may be I should worry less about the four screw heel and big plates. Springs are steel and not titanium which is good because the steel ones will last forever.

Release? I am sure they are "full release" but how that relates to DIN down hill binding is another story when the toes lock down.

"Couldn't have been worse than the ski over to the Ginat though, eh Dane?" In my Spantiks? Ya, must be why you decided to start walking over :)

I am now fully prepared for round 2...should be cake in TLTs, race skis and fully locked bindings :eek:

I don’t race so I will just stick to my Dynafit Classics that weigh almost twice but have never broken.

Agreed. The TLT speed model has been tried & tested everywhere - they're simple and bombproof. I wouldn't want a race type binding for an extended trip. And "twice the weight "is relative. They're only 335 g - the weight difference being equivalent to one and a half cliff bars.

No disagreement there. And @ $400 retail the newest Speed is $200 cheaper than the Speed Superlight. Which is $600.

http://www.dynafit.com/product/bindings/tlt-speed-radical

Which I suspect is the binding "You can pick up at Pro Ski in North Bend for $399.00."

Speeds I use on down hill boards. Not on my mountaineering skis where the weight and bulk really does matter if you are carrying them on a route.

Ya but planning two ski setups - this one with short, light skis and the superlites just for carryover routes and approaches, and one for everything else. Expensive, yes... but I will have this setup strapped to my back for probably more time than I will be skiing with them. Might be worth it... Food for thought though.

Cheap? If you think hut fees are bad :) This stuff will kill ya. But a expensive under 10# total ski, boot and binding set up makes more sense when you are home making money than it does living on a shoe string in Cham.

Once there and the gear is paid for...they'll be priceless.

I skied on my new gear a bunch this spring. It opened all sorts of terrain and trips that I might have not done with heavier gear. Now I'll likely never be without a similar set up.

The price? Forgotten the first trip down the Emmonds this summer...or maybe it was St Helens earlier, can't really remember ;-) The first time you pull out your tools and strap the skis on your back and not think about the weight, I suspect you'll think it is money well spent.

• 2 weeks later...

Dynafit was originally saying November availability in the U.S., and I even wrote up a draft review for WildSnow.com pending the actual on-the-snow assessment. But now my emails are no longer being returned, and I see that even the ever-optimistic MGear.com is listing mid-December, so you can probably add weeks or months to that.

Unlike a full-on race binding, the release values are fully adjustment, but lateral and forward settings are linked to each other (which of course is totally fine if you always use the same lateral and forward settings anyway). No "flat" skinning mode, although the lower of the two elevators is similar to full-on rando race bindings, which is kind of a "half-step" (as Dynafit used to call it on some other discontinued models) and pretty much perfect. The higher setting is more like the low setting on a Speed.