Spantiks for splitboarding (and climbing)

mzvarner

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

can you move the binding towards healside and not have the heal hang over the edge? Maybe move is that way till you get a equal hangover of toe and heal.

The bigger issue (as far as I see it) is the height of the boots. Are the boots higher than the highback? For my bindings, all mountaineering boots are too low to fully cover the highback. This causes some pinching on the calf during heal turns.

Hopefully those boots work out for you. Would be interested in hearing how it works out for you.

@sol- There is no rear hang. Something I need to mess with, but I am just to lazy because it is a PITA with the Voile DIY kit.

@Genepires- I have used them twice, once locally and the other to climb/board Mt. Adams. They KICK ASS. They are high enough so there is no pinching. Rigid, warm, and take a crampon better than any snowboard boot. But take my advice with a grain of salt since they have only been used on two trips. You might enjoy this link

http://splitboard.com/talk/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=10141

Without looking at the setup I can only guess.. but I would suggest messing around with the angle of your stance. I know that can be a bit limited by the voile discs, but it could offer a bit of space on your board.

IMHO it really comes down to the width or the board compared to the size of the boot, so if your board really is too narrow, cutting a new one would be the next best option.

Hope you get your setup ready for La Nina!

What board, what size boots, and whats the binding setup? From your posts I'm guessing that it's a DIY with the Voile DIY plates and some other bindings mounted on there.

I think you'll be able to get a big improvement from centering your bindings as a first step.

Voile Mtn. Plate binding, I have the same setup with Scarpa Matrix boots. No need to DIY.

However, I think that the new Spark boots and bindings look like the way to go if you have a lot of money to spend on a new set up. AT boots ride OK, but I really miss the soft boot feel. They do skin and traverse quite well though...

It is the DIY kit on a LTD Fury 163 i think. Ride bindings I think are centerd already. And I wear a size 45 Spantik. I need to mess with the overall positioning though, maybe moving the binding further back along the palte that slides over the pucks.

I'm not too familiar with the LTD Fury but with a size 45 you'll definitely want to be riding a wide board, especially with a mountaineering boot. If you have 2 inches of toe drag and no heel drag then your bindings aren't centered, you should move them further towards your heel. Maybe you were thinking that I asked if your stance is centered?

I'm actually kind of curious to see how the Spantiks ride but I think I'd be more apt to spend the money trying to convince a good cobbler to modify a good pair of snowboard boots before I'd try to snowboard in a good pair of climbing boots.

If you're fairly new to snowboarding and really want to do a lot of mountaineering with your split then you should should probably just sack up to hard boots. I put some time in riding on a pair of Koflach Superpipes when I was 12 (before I knew they were cool!) and don't think I can give up the soft boots at this point but AT boots would almost be able to do what your Spantiks do for you but also allow you to ride plate bindings. I don't think you'll get enough response on the heel side to do that with your boots now but I could be wrong.

Edited by Jason4

HOW THE HELL DID YOU MAKE THAT!

LOL!!! I didn't make it. They sell it.

But I did have to do some modifications to my existing splitboard. It originally was a S-Series that I re drilled for the Voile pucks and used a MTN plate set up.

The Scarpa Denali series of boots are what I rock. They have a full vibram sole, use step in crampons, and hike OK. I like the way they ride too.

Voile Mtn. Plate binding, I have the same setup with Scarpa Matrix boots. No need to DIY.

However, I think that the new Spark boots and bindings look like the way to go if you have a lot of money to spend on a new set up. AT boots ride OK, but I really miss the soft boot feel. They do skin and traverse quite well though...

I just looked at that Spark Boot. Sweet. Finally someone is doing it.

But unlike you, I prefer the hard boot. I feel that I am more connected to my ride in my AT boots. I do not miss that sloppy soft boot feel. That shit is for the pipe and park riders. For serious big mountain riders, the AT or hard boot is the best choice.

But then again, these are just Opinions. Yours might vary. :P

@JasonG- one of my buddies has the Spark RD bindings but is not to impressed with them. They dont instill confidence because they are really thin and flimsy feeling. He has yet to break them but... With that being said, he also broke down at bought an AT set up this year, so that may tell you what he really thinks.

Interesting....it will be awhile before I can afford a new set up so it will be fun to keep an eye on things in the next few years (maybe a splitboard specific hardboot next?). Regardless of preferences, I think it is really cool that there are getting to be more and more options for splitboarders. Similar to the situation back 25 years ago with regular snowboarding.

Of course that means the BC won't get any quieter. It is amazing how many more folks you see out compared to just a decade ago....