Sell out?

layton

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would have watched whatever show you could have been on Mikey. Probably would have enjoyed that more than whatever is on the TV these days... till you got voted off for not being a big enough drama monkey.

Do you all really enjoy every part of your jobs? Does it make you a sell out because you still work there and get paid?

I think plaidman should go on the show...

Glassgow is right, probably talking more in the 2-3k plus expenses. But as far as loosing rights to story/footage, that is always up for negotiations. I was asked to provide footage for this show for another spot they are running. And there is no way I was selling the rights to the story or footage. I was licensing the usage rights, big difference. A show like that can't afford to own the story and footage.

Both Discovery and NG buy all the rights, if you deliver a program, non-negotiable. There is a difference between stringing and production. But shows like Ice Road Truckers or Deadliest Catch (both produced by Original Productions) are owned by Discovery (and all the channels associated with it- like History) out right. And that includes the footage that did not make it through the edit. Mike, what you said was right, but I am describing completely different scenario.

I'd like to know exactly what people's definitions of a "sell out" is.

My definition is : going against ones own set of morals or values in the pursuit of money or fame.

As you can see, to call someone a sell out is totally subjective and dependent upon projecting ones owns values and morals on someone else. Therefore it could be concluded that NO ONE can truly call anyone else a sell out as one cannot possibly know without a reasonable what someone elses moral code is or will allow them to do.

Anyone else got a definition?

I still think Bear Grylls is a douchebag though!

I have no idea if the person in question is a sell out (and I don't especially care) but doesn't saying that morality (I hate that word) is subjective amount to amorality? I think it is Chomsky who said that the first condition of morality is universality.

I have no idea if the person in question is a sell out (and I don't especially care) but doesn't saying that morality (I hate that word) is subjective amount to amorality? I think it is Chomsky who said that the first condition of morality is universality.

I can understand where you and (Chomsky) are coming from j_b, however I would disagree on the condition of universality.

Let us for sake of discussion replace "morality" with a term such as "personal code". Universality does not come in to play with personal code because everyones personal code is different. This could be said to be true both in cultural ideals as well in each individual. There maybe a "sense" of universality but it usually will only appear to be so within the group or society that buys into it. If universallity could exist anywhere would we not have world peace? We are all different even if we share "some" ideas we never share "all" the same ideas.

But hell what do I know - I am just a simple maintenance man.

If you take out "Kevin"/"KJ" and replace with "Bear" is this still true? I mean does the guy really love coming across as a buffoon on camera, drinking his own piss and wearing a sealskin wifebeater and eating bush-baby feces while pretending it has something to do with survival techniques?

Somebody hands you a script of one hour of televised buffoonery and a check for a couple hundred thousand...what are YOU gonna do?

Just asking. :poke:;)

This is NOT the price range we are talking about. Most likely it's a plane ticket, day in a hotel and maybe a couple of grand. I doubt even Honold walked away with more then 50K in the pocket, and networks like CBS pay way more. Discovery is really stingy what it comes to money. On average 1 hour episode will sell for about 30K, and on the top of that you are losing rights to your footage/story. So the question is if 2 or 3 K is worth participating in such circle jerk?

Was talking about Bear Grylls but whatever...

And as far as Kevin getting involved in the wrong "circle jerk," I have a feeling that most people when offered a few thousand dollars for a days work would be part of any circle jerk asked of them. Most humans have a price.

I think a lot of people have marketable and employable skills and make good living- while maintaining a high level of climbing level they represent. Just look at people like Raphael Slawinski. I think if your image is the only source you can cash on there is even more reason to be cautious on which circle jerk to join. So on the contrary- there are a lot of people who will not fall for the trap of making ass out of themselves for sake of making a few thousands of dollars.