Sell out?

layton

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also it's kind of funny, how they post the number of 23 dead while climbing on ElCap. I wonder what is the criteria of "the death while attempt"? Also it would be interesting to see what would be the total number of people, who actually climbed the face. I do not dispute that he is a strong climber. What I have my beef is how this crap gets shown and twisted on TV. I bet there are more people killed while hiking or driving through Yosemite, then people killed climbing. While Kevin doesn't have a direct control over what is being said (or shown), he should use a better judgment in which "circle jerk" he participates.

Sell out or not, he is an amazing climber.

He pretty much reduced some of the United Kingdom's top tier rock climbing to Junior Varsity status in his first visit (although one could argue that UK rock climbing in general has been J.V. status since about 92' save an odd route or two every five years or so)

heh...off topic...but don't forget that some of those british guys have been doing the same thing to "us" lately...

Pete Whittaker Flashes Belly Full Of Bad Berries

uh.. I know of at least three posters on this site that could send that route.

uh.. I know of at least three posters on this site that could send that route.

:tup: "uh"...cool! They should then.

Those Brits have been putting down a pretty cool ticklist of a boatload of the hardest OW's on our side of the pond. I think it's cool. Not trying to "measure" anything...

ymmv.

Edited by jfs1978

Yeah but they suck at naming routes. Apparently one of the Brits freed Steve Bartlett's "Chocolate Starfish" in Canyonlands and renamed it "Century Crack." Renaming routes after you free them is weak to start with, but Chocolate Starfish is a waaaay better name than Century Crack.

He's a sell out like the rest of us. We all have sold out to the modern world. He's given into the pressures of society to have a job and make money. Anybody who does that is selling something. Usually 40 hours of their life per week. KJ is opting to sell what he loves so he can do more of what he loves. For some reason I find that to be much better than selling most of your time to some job/activity that you don't love.

And as far as Kevin getting involved in the wrong "circle jerk," I have a feeling that most people when offered a few thousand dollars for a days work would be part of any circle jerk asked of them. Most humans have a price.

He's a sell out like the rest of us. We all have sold out to the modern world. He's given into the pressures of society to have a job and make money. Anybody who does that is selling something. Usually 40 hours of their life per week. KJ is opting to sell what he loves so he can do more of what he loves. For some reason I find that to be much better than selling most of your time to some job/activity that you don't love.

And as far as Kevin getting involved in the wrong "circle jerk," I have a feeling that most people when offered a few thousand dollars for a days work would be part of any circle jerk asked of them. Most humans have a price.

If you take out "Kevin"/"KJ" and replace with "Bear" is this still true? I mean does the guy really love coming across as a buffoon on camera, drinking his own piss and wearing a sealskin wifebeater and eating bush-baby feces while pretending it has something to do with survival techniques?

If you take out "Kevin"/"KJ" and replace with "Bear" is this still true? I mean does the guy really love coming across as a buffoon on camera, drinking his own piss and wearing a sealskin wifebeater and eating bush-baby feces while pretending it has something to do with survival techniques?

Somebody hands you a script of one hour of televised buffoonery and a check for a couple hundred thousand...what are YOU gonna do?

Just asking. :poke:;)

Yeah but they suck at naming routes. Apparently one of the Brits freed Steve Bartlett's "Chocolate Starfish" in Canyonlands and renamed it "Century Crack." Renaming routes after you free them is weak to start with, but Chocolate Starfish is a waaaay better name than Century Crack.

:lmao: I thought that too. Perhaps Crusher has had his naming skills expand due to his long time residence in the US...

Somebody hands you a script of one hour of televised buffoonery and a check for a couple hundred thousand...what are YOU gonna do?

This is NOT the price range we are talking about. Most likely it's a plane ticket, day in a hotel and maybe a couple of grand. I doubt even Honold walked away with more then 50K in the pocket, and networks like CBS pay way more. Discovery is really stingy what it comes to money. On average 1 hour episode will sell for about 30K, and on the top of that you are losing rights to your footage/story. So the question is if 2 or 3 K is worth participating in such circle jerk?

This is NOT the price range we are talking about. Most likely it's a plane ticket, day in a hotel and maybe a couple of grand. I doubt even Honold walked away with more then 50K in the pocket, and networks like CBS pay way more. Discovery is really stingy what it comes to money. On average 1 hour episode will sell for about 30K, and on the top of that you are losing rights to your footage/story. So the question is if 2 or 3 K is worth participating in such circle jerk?

you do it for free ;)

Glassgow is right, probably talking more in the 2-3k plus expenses. But as far as loosing rights to story/footage, that is always up for negotiations. I was asked to provide footage for this show for another spot they are running. And there is no way I was selling the rights to the story or footage. I was licensing the usage rights, big difference. A show like that can't afford to own the story and footage.

I've also been asked a couple times to participate in some stupid reality tv show based on climbing. Both production companies were reputable and had the means to pull off a TV show but I DID opt out as the price they were willing to pay wasn't worth what they were asking of me. If they had offered 6 figures I'm sure I would of re-evaluated. To bad they didn't offer me that much as I'd be the one Layton was talking shit about, though I wouldn't care cause I'd be on an un-iterupted climbing trip for the next few years. :brew: