Sell out?

layton

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why would you have to try not to disrespect him? The guy is TC's partner, he has sent some of the hardest and most dangerous boulder problems in the world. He is a young guy, a pro climber, he has to make a living to. I didn't see anything out of line with him being on the show, although I think the show itself is pretty lame, but Kevin pretty cool. Whats the problem?

i've never heard of him so i don't know if he's an amazing climber or a total gumby, which is why i put the "?" on the title and the "i don't know" part in there too.

but I just found this to be one of the lamest media videos on climbing i've ever seen and would feel like shit if this was aired with me in it.

All he did was sit down and answer some questions. The rest was all hollywood.

KJ repeating one of gritstones "hardest"

For me Kevin epitomizes the "new school". A wicked strong climber with a background in the gym, nerves hardenend from lots of highball bouldering, who walks up some of the hardest traditional routes in the world.

Dawn Wall Project

I don't begrudge Kevin Jorgeson a thing. The guy obviously has talent. What I do take issue with is Bear Grylls and/or the show's writers taking liberties with undisputed facts. Take this piece, for example:

Tao Berman-kayaker

At 1:56 in the video, a text box appears with the following "fact" designed to awe the viewer: Tao's World Record Waterfall Descent: 98 feet

Now, we may not know much about the Brazilian kayaker who boated over the Salto Belo drop (127 feet) on the Rio Sacre in Brazil back in 2009, but we sure as hell are all aware of this guy and the feat he pulled off at Palouse Falls over here on my side of the state about a month after the Brazilian's record. My math sez that 175 to 180 feet is almost twice the height of Mr. Berman's "world record" drop.

Now, some may argue that Tyler's record is "unofficial" because there were no surveying measurements made on the day of the drop to jot down in the record books. But just looking at it, Palouse Falls is a helluva lot higher of a drop than Tao Berman's "98-foot World Record Waterfall Descent" being peddled by Mr. Grylls and his handlers without dragging out the EDMI, GPS, or MW/IR distance measuring thingamabobs.

Researching Tao Berman's website will indicate that he made his 98-foot record drop in August of 1999. That was ten years before Tyler Bradt's record. For Mr. Berman to list this accomplishment on his website as current, rather than saying Former World Record Waterfall Descent Holder, is just plain disingenuous.

Sell out or not, he is an amazing climber.

He pretty much reduced some of the United Kingdom's top tier rock climbing to Junior Varsity status in his first visit (although one could argue that UK rock climbing in general has been J.V. status since about 92' save an odd route or two every five years or so)

but I just found this to be one of the lamest media videos on climbing i've ever seen and would feel like shit if this was aired with me in it.

i'm sure they'll be contacting you soon, and then you can tell them to fuck off.

:lmao: I suppose I will tell them the same...

Then again, I'm A-OK with selling out, I'll put the phone back on the hook. Selling out = chicks and fame and all that glory shiat.

He pretty much reduced some of the United Kingdom's top tier rock climbing to Junior Varsity status in his first visit (although one could argue that UK rock climbing in general has been J.V. status since about 92' save an odd route or two every five years or so)

heh...off topic...but don't forget that some of those british guys have been doing the same thing to "us" lately...

Pete Whittaker Flashes Belly Full Of Bad Berries

A lot of climbers from Elbsandstein or from Czech Republic will argue, that the whole grit scene is nothing but a complete pussy fest. They have the point, since TR is not really looked upon kindly in these parts of the world. I think gritstone gets over reported due to the fact that it is in English speaking zone- hence it gets to the press easier. It's the same with climbers from Slovenia, who were putting up hardest shit for at least 3 decades and just now started getting some press.

selling out is becoming the rule, rather than the exception, any more... if there is a way to make [more] money at doing something - anything - then it is desirable to pursue it to that end. take music for example: great musicians love their art and want to perform it however they can. this usually pays them modestly unless they have some sort of big record contract or start making ghey music videos. why shouldn't great climbers be able to take advantage of their skill and accomplishments to make a little extra $$$?

I agree Sobo, and the odd thing is that a 98' drop is a pretty big deal and worthy of respect, even if its not the current record. Why try the hype and spin when the truth is nothing to be ashamed of?
Precisely, OW! I emailed Mr. Berman's website to discuss this issue. The discourse follows:

I would like to know by what mechanism Mr. Berman claims to hold the “World Record Waterfall Descent” at only 98 feet, when a little internet surfing will reveal that a Brazilian fellow kayaked the Salto Belo drop (127 feet) on Brazil’s Rio Sacre back in March of 2009.

Then, about a month after the Brazilian’s record was established, one Tyler Bradt took his kayak over Palouse Falls in my state (Washington) in late April of 2009. Although no “official” measurement of the height of Palouse Falls was made on the day of the drop, it is clear that Palouse Falls, which can vary between 175 feet to 185 feet, is approaching TWICE the height of the “record” currently being claimed by Mr. Berman. Furthermore, Tyler Bradt previously held a verified world record waterfall descent of 107 feet up until 2007, when the aforementioned Brazilian broke that record at Salto Belo. How does Mr. Berman justify the statements made on his website of holding the “World Record Waterfall Descent of 98 feet”?

Respectfully,

Paul E. Soboleski

PS: Further short reading for Mr. Bradt: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyler_Bradt

Additional short reading for Palouse Falls: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palouse_Falls

Their reply:

Tao Berman no longer holds the world record. It is currently held by Tyler Bradt. Berman's website hasn't been updated. Thanks

Thank you for your prompt reply, your candor, and your concurrence with what I hold to be true.

Perhaps the webmaster of Mr. Berman’s site could add the simple modifier “Former” preceding the description of his World Record Waterfall Descent. There is no shame in the truth of his feat, or that his feat of 1999 has subsequently been bested.

I await their reply...